Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing McaFee 4.5.1

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I gave my dad my old PC (Win ME) with McAfee Viruscan 4.5.1 installed but have tried to upgrade it to a more recent version but am encountering difficulties. I had this problem before on an even older PC and made a hash of fixing it.

Basically, when upgrading to a higher version it attempts to uninstall this Viruscan but resets and restarts during uninstallation (on my even older PC I just got the dreaded blue screen). I then tried to uninstall separately using the add/remove program but the same thing happened :whistling:

How do I get rid of McAfee Viruscan 4.5.1 another way so I can put a better version on.

Cheers for any help! :blink:

PS. I did find this removal and although I can't tell if this for 4.5.1 or 5.1 maybe peeps can tell me if these steps are the best way forward and accurate.

Edited by hoggle2000, 27 December 2006 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use the instructions at the link you found to manually remove McAfee ...then go to start...my computer...click on your C drive...then click on programs folder...find the McAfee folder...right click on it...one of the options is to delete the folder..click on delete..

Edited by happyrck, 27 December 2006 - 09:47 AM.

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well Ive looked through my registry and I can only find 2 entries that are mentioned in the guide! :whistling: It can't be a suitable guide for removing this particular version.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then go to MCafee's website and look in support and try to find a uninstaller there....

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for your help happy!

Ok, I had a long trawl through their website and they provide little support for their older products. their forums are only divided into recent products too. I checked their knowledge bases and these don't explain manual uninstallation. The only option they give for older products (pre Virusscan 8.0) is to contact a technician by phone at £1 per minute :whistling: which doesn't sound like its gonna be a cheap call!

I downloaded a document from their site which explains which files are installed but doesn't highlight what bits of the registry need to be removed so if anyone can help me on this I would be very grateful. :blink:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...there is a zip file to download about halfway down...

http://ts.mcafeehelp...&...Id=245

Edited by happyrck, 28 December 2006 - 08:31 AM.

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey happy! Thanks for that - I was a bit unsure since it was referring to 5.* and above but follwing this I seem to have got rid of most of Virusscan from my PC.

However, I have begin installing Viruscan 7.0 and in the process of installing it is asking for the location of a file called VScan451.msi in its removing applications step. I guess it can still sense the old version which means I havent managed to delete all references to it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get regseeker and clean the registry ...let it run until the buttons on the bottom turn bold (they are grayed out to start)....then select all.. twice... on your keyboard press delete...it makes a backup of what its deleting...

http://www.snapfiles.../regseeker.html

Edited by happyrck, 28 December 2006 - 09:46 AM.

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks again for your help! :whistling:

I ran the regseeker and it found tons of stuff - including reference to McAfee and I deleted them all.

I have run the Virusscan 7 CD again and it is still asking for a disk etc with this file on and when I browse manually for the file it is still the VScan451.msi file it is looking for!

I don't know why it thinks it needs to remove this edition first since I must have removed all references to it by now!!! :blink:

Edited by hoggle2000, 28 December 2006 - 10:10 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
both mcafee and norton are a PITA to remove ...I use and recommend AVG...its not only free it works without using as many resources...if you are trying to use mcafee because it has a firewall...then get zone alarm free version...

http://free.grisoft....eweb.php/doc/2/

http://www.snapfiles.../zonealarm.html

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hehe I totally agree and have just installed AVG!

I will use these instead and screw McAfee. Thanks very much for the help though!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :whistling:

be sure to tell anyone that will listen ...to avoid both mcafee and norton until such time as they get their act together...