Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer won't turn on.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a gateway GT5228. Window XP, bought it about 3 months ago. I left the damned thing on overnight to download something and the next morning I wake up and the computer was off. I pushed the power button to turn it on. The system lights flickered on and off along with my speakers (speakers are usb powered) then stopped - no noises, the computer never turned on. I hit the button repeatidly but I couldn't even get the lights to come on.

So then I unplugged it, opened the computer up to check for loose wiring, cleaned my fans, plugged it back in and hit the button to the same effect. It seems I have to unplug it and plug it back in, in order to get the lights to come once, after that it won't until I unplug/plug. I tried something else once and held down the power button. The lights flickered on and off (again no noise, nothing on the monitor) until I let go after a good minute then it stopped as usual. The only things that powered up were the fans, the CD drive didn't work.

Opened it up again, I checked the power supply and tried to open it, but failed to due to some of the screws being.. defective and jammed in (I now hate gateway/emachines), so I gave up on it. I noticed in the power supply that there was yellow goo along one of the copper wiring (it looked like a half ring of copper coils) so I took a guess that something melted and the problem is the power supply, but I don't know much bout computers to diagnose it myself.

I talked to a Gateway tech but he had no answers for me.

Other things to note here:
The ethernet light on the computer is lit.
My mouse/keyboard do light up and stay lit up.
The power light in the back of the comp is lit.
Nothing appears on the monitor at all, anytime.
I didn't smell anything burning or burnt.
No system noises that are normal for system bootup.