Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hd problem

• Please log in to reply

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I put a new harddrive in my frinds computer and when we try to boot up it says something about a cd and will not do any thing it is a old computer i told him to get a new computer but he said i mesed it up and i got to fix it help :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Natdaddy, did you replace the old drive with the new one? Was the computer working with the old drive in it? Can you still put the old hard drive back in the computer and see if it will boot up windows?

You must know that when you put a new hard drive in a computer you must still Reinstall windows on the new drive with a windows CD.

Please give us more information so we can help you.

SRX660

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i put the new harddrive as a slave drive. When that did not work i put i back like i got it and it did not work i tryed it every way i new t try but it still did not work.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You need to explain the method yopu used to install the new Hd. Did you set the jumper on the back of the drive to the slave position and then hook the drive to the middle connector of the flat cable data cable? Is the old hard drive jumper set to master and it's hooked up to the end of the data cable? If so, then it should have booted to the old hard drive. How old is this computer? You must double check all connections and make sure all of them are good tight fits. How far apart did you take the computer to install the new hard drive? It is probably something simply you have forgotten to do or hook up causing it to not boot. Let me know what you are doing. Do you have the computer to where you can work on it? We can do a diagnose check thru to make sure everything is hooked up and working.

SRX660

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
When i took it apart to put the new hd in all i did was take the old one out and i took the cable out bloow it out with a can out dust remover and put it the two hd back in and it did not work so tryed puting it back like it was and it still did not work i tryed ever thing i could think of but is still did not work.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

When i took it apart to put the new hd in all i did was take the old one out and i took the cable out bloow it out with a can out dust remover and put it the two hd back in and it did not work so tryed puting it back like it was and it still did not work i tryed ever thing i could think of but is still did not work.

look on the back of the old hdd, stock drives have the jumper set on cable select, put it on master

Edited by AnthonyJ, 29 December 2006 - 05:23 PM.

natdaddy1230

natdaddy1230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i got it working i took the old hd out and it started working now my frind is mad he thout that if i did not fix it he was going to get my computer i told him he was crasy.