Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connected to network but cant connect to the web after ~ 20 minutes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KDL

KDL

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hoping someone can help me out. I have a Wireless Network setup with Cable Modem. The computer that is connected to the network using a wireless adapter works fine. I hardly ever lose connection with that computer and reconnecting to the network is not an issue (disable / repair). My issue is with the Main computer which is connected to the wireless router with an ethernet cable. The network icon shows i am connected to the network ( "status - connected", "speed 108Mbps") but I can't browse any web pages, check mail, use yahoo/aim/msn, etc about 20 minutes after I startup. The only way I can get it working again is to reboot each time (FRUSTRATING! :whistling: ). I can't disable and repair it either. I even had a support tech here to set up my network and they have been back to repair but it still has the same problem. Hoping you guys can help resolve. I'm not computer savy at all so please bear with me. This has been going on from day one with this network connection even after the tech re-installed it. NEED HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!!! Any info you need I will be glad to supply.

By the way.. right now I can browse the last site I'm on all I want even by starting a new Internet Explorer page but I can't browse any other website. Can't even go to my home page "Google" but I can stop the page from searching for google and enter the last website visited and it will go to it without an issue. I can't send or recieve email either. I don't get it.

System info...

Windows XP
Netgear WGT624 108Mbps router
Cable Modem
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

THANKS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

Hoping someone can help me out. I have a Wireless Network setup with Cable Modem. The computer that is connected to the network using a wireless adapter works fine. I hardly ever lose connection with that computer and reconnecting to the network is not an issue (disable / repair). My issue is with the Main computer which is connected to the wireless router with an ethernet cable. The network icon shows i am connected to the network ( "status - connected", "speed 108Mbps") but I can't browse any web pages, check mail, use yahoo/aim/msn, etc about 20 minutes after I startup. The only way I can get it working again is to reboot each time (FRUSTRATING! :whistling: ). I can't disable and repair it either. I even had a support tech here to set up my network and they have been back to repair but it still has the same problem. Hoping you guys can help resolve. I'm not computer savy at all so please bear with me. This has been going on from day one with this network connection even after the tech re-installed it. NEED HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!!! Any info you need I will be glad to supply.

By the way.. right now I can browse the last site I'm on all I want even by starting a new Internet Explorer page but I can't browse any other website. Can't even go to my home page "Google" but I can stop the page from searching for google and enter the last website visited and it will go to it without an issue. I can't send or recieve email either. I don't get it.

System info...

Windows XP
Netgear WGT624 108Mbps router
Cable Modem
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

THANKS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Are you having the same problem with both computers? The difference being one can use Repair and the other can't?

KDL

KDL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No. One computer actually shows it lost connection to the network at times. That one I fix by doing REPAIR. The computer I am having a problem with never shows that it lost "connection" to the Network but I can't browse the web, send/receive email, chat, etc after ~20 minutes from startup. It actually shows being connected and at a good speed. I will be browsing the web no problem when i first sign on but then I notice I can no longer browse after a while. This computer is connected to the wireless router via an ethernet cable. I don't know if it's some setting that is being over looked or what. I have tried the "REPAIR" option on this computer as well even though it still shows connected and what happens is I get an error stating it cannot renew my IP Address. Right now I can browse this website all I want but if I try to leave this site I get the "cannot find server" error (page cannot be displayed). I open another Internet Explorer window and I can't even get to my home page - Google. I can however start a new I.E page and go to this site no problem but that's only because it is the last site I visited. It is the strangest thing.

Edited by KDL, 27 December 2006 - 07:46 PM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Sorry I took so long. Can you enter your router's setup page? If so does it have the DNS IP addresses set to "Automatic" or entered "Staticl"?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Duplicate here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=868657