Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System information- Can't Collect Information

• Please log in to reply

tricky0ff

tricky0ff

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The other day my boss asked me to check my computer to see if it has the requirements for the new version of Quickbooks. When I went to System Information to check, it tells me that it "Can't Collect Information- Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing."
I did a search on this and found a couple of sites (including Microsoft) that suggest that you check the services and make sure they are started and set to automatic, which I have done and the problem still has not been resolved.
But here is the kicker. When I click on View-System History, it tells me:
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM REMOVED GATEWAY
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM REMOVED Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM REMOVED 259888
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED System board
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED Motherboard resources
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED Intel® 82802 Firmware Hub Device
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED PCI bus
12/10/2006 5:11:39 PM CHANGED Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
... And on and on it goes. Everything was either CHANGED or REMOVED at the exact same time.
This was a Sunday evening when nobody was in the office (at least I wasn't). So why would all this stuff be removed?
Now, I did have some problems right after this as you can see by my post:

http://www.geekstogo...er-t141682.html

But now I am wondering if my problems were because of this instead. Or if this problem is connected to the Office 2007 trial.
Also, I keep getting this popup message:

"ctfmon.exr- Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\WINNT\system32\MSUTB.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I don't know if this is connected to the problems either. When I did the System File Checker that was suggested by dsenette, it fixed the big problems but it apparently did not fix MSUTB.dll.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well it could be your dll cache is not working correctly or is in proper functioning order

try this

Put in your XP disc. Go to START>RUN. Type COMMAND in the Run box. At the prompt type
SFC /SCANNOW. Windows will fix your dll cache. Tip: the progress bar is beneath the command window.

tricky0ff

tricky0ff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If you read my first post, you will see that I did the SFC/ SCANNOW already and it fixed my major problems (Quickbooks not opening and such) but these problems are still happening.
But just for good measure, I did the SFC again, as you suggested and it did not solve my problem.
Thanks anyway.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download the missing dll from here. As for the computer's specifications: download Everst home edition from here. Run it and you will have all the details you need.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok i did not check what you did in office site

go to my computer>>open it>>right click on c:drive>>select properties>>click tools tab >>check now>>make sure both boxes are check and click start