Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which monitor is best for me?

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Lets not let the price factor anything here, since they are 30$ apart, doesn't matter to me.
I'm making a dual monitor display for my computer that i building in February. Found 2 amazing deals, don't know which one i should get two of.
Which one looks better to you guys, is wide screen that much better?
http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=S197-2016
http://www.futuresho...i...=&langid=EN
Please post a reason why, and can anyone explain to me what is so good about widescreen?
I think the 19" is a better buy. What about you guys.
James

Edited by james_8970, 27 December 2006 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I would say the 19" mointor widescreen is rubbish really it just means u can fit more on the screen but i just find it anoyying and it looks smaller than a non widescreen mointor.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just bought my wife a 20"Samsung wide screen LCD monitor for christmas. I have had a Samsung 19" regular LCD monitor for a year now. While the wifes monitor is nice i really think its just another widescreen hype like the TV thing that going on. I personally prefer the regular size monitor and even if i was doing a dual monitor setup i would go with 2-19" regular screens. Its just my preference here so take it with a grain of salt.

SRX660

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I'd go with the 2nd choice, the samsung.

For a dual monitor setup the standard screen instead of the wide screen is gonna give you more realestate I think. Widescreen is good for one thing only in my opinion, and thats wide screen movies, and I watch those on my TV not my computer. Having dual monitors will give you all the width you need on games.

Plus the 2ms responce time doesn't hurt either...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
its the 2000:1 constast ratio that really catches my eye, 2ms is great for gaming as well....but 5ms would be fine.....no less then that though....
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Anyone think that full screen will become obsolete within 2-4 years in games and such?
James

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Obsolete? No

Widescreens are nice if you like that but alot of computer buyers buy for business reasons, and when you are using things like MS word you need the height not the width, and unless you buy a really big wide screen you don't get it.

I think standard sized monitors will co-exist with widescreens for a long time and games will support both.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya thats what i was leaning to. Also I'm doing quite a bit of photo editing and website creating, can't for get gaming, just bought Company of heroes today.....but i have to wait till i build in February to play it.....GAH!
The contrast is what really appeals to me here. The response time is a little bonus :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 December 2006 - 11:12 PM.