Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen computer

• Please log in to reply

dcoons

dcoons

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I picked up a Frozen computer with winows 98 installed on it and I tried to run a diagnostic disc on it, but when I pressed f2 it asked for the password and I do not have it. This is an Acer Travelmate 730. the previous owner was installing a game and the computer froze, it just displays the acer window.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You, DC

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you try just hitting "enter"?

dcoons

dcoons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes I tried to press enter. I wish it were that easy. There was a line that came up, it said press any key to boot from disk. I had not seen that before, so I pressed a key and it booted from the XP disk and took me to the setup page. I deleted the old partition and created a new one then I was able to install XP home edition and now everything is running great. Except that the XP disk that I used is the one that is installed on my desktop, I don't think you are supposed to install that OS on more that one computer. I think it will only run for 30 days, unless there is some way around that.

Edited by dcoons, 28 December 2006 - 08:02 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I am sorry, but that is correct. You can basically install XP on the same computer that you used to register it with.

You will need to purchase a new license key from microsoft.

dcoons

dcoons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I will just try to find a copy of Windows 98 second edition and install it on a new partition. So mabe I can avoid the huge license Fee.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sounds good.. let me know how it goes.