Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba thumb-drive stopped working after DEFRAG

• Please log in to reply

Ohm

Ohm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Toshiba Satellite A1050-S171 Laptop
Windows XP

I have a Toshiba 512mb thumb drive that stopped working. The warning given says "device not recognized". All the USB ports say to be working in device manager. I also turned OFF the setting that allows the computer to turn off device to save power. The thumb drive works on other computers. Other USB item still work on my laptop.

The problem began on a day where I was doing standard PC maintenance (spyware removal, registry defrag, disk cleanup, and defrag). The programs I was using were Start System Mechanic 5, Spyware Doctor, and window Defrag program. (My hunch is that the windows defrag did it)

My understanding is that windows XP has thumb drive drivers built in and I should not need to install device specific drivers (which I never did and the thumb drive worked immediately)

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

topshelfpc

topshelfpc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all - There is no point in defragmenting a thumb driver EVER!

That said, the only thing I can think of to fix your problem is to format the thumb drive with the HP thumb drive format utility. Search google, it's all over the place. other than that you may possibly have to RMA the thumb drive to the manufacturer.

Good Luck, I hope the format utility helps!

Now that I read the date of the post, I figure the person has already bought a new one, but the information may be helpful for anyone with a similiar problem.