Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

beginner networking help

• Please log in to reply

dookie270

dookie270

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi everyone im still kinda new to computers compared to most people on this site but i've been wanting to set up a wireless network in my home. Right now i have two desktops and an xbox 360 in my basement that i want to be able to access the internet at the same time. I've figured that i need a wireless/wired combo router since my two desktops are in the same room but my xbox is downstairs and i dont want to run an ethernet cable downstairs to it. So what exactly do i need and any recommendations on certain products would be great, thanks in advance

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello.

I have a Linksys WRT54G.

In your post, I believe you have a router but if not:

You should pick up the Linksys WRT54GS(speedbooster) because your gonna play Xbox and you do not wanna lag.

Now for your Xbox, you should pick up a Linksys WGA54G or WGA54AG. They are awesome and I have the WGA54AG and I lag once in awhile because im stuck with cruddy DSL. but those 2 choices are a good pick for the money. look at your local best buy or Circuit city.

HTH

Yield22

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Hello.

I have a Linksys WRT54G.

In your post, I believe you have a router but if not:

You should pick up the Linksys WRT54GS(speedbooster) because your gonna play Xbox and you do not wanna lag.

Now for your Xbox, you should pick up a Linksys WGA54G or WGA54AG. They are awesome and I have the WGA54AG and I lag once in awhile because im stuck with cruddy DSL. but those 2 choices are a good pick for the money. look at your local best buy or Circuit city.

HTH

Yield22

alright so all i need is one of those two adapters for my xbox?..i found the WGA54AG on best buy and it said something about needing an addition game adapter that wasnt included..any idea on what that is?

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1099384406381

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That is ONLY if you want to go head to head in your house... do you want to do that? If not, than you only need one, that kinda confused me at first too.

dookie270

dookie270

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
no..all i want to do is be able to connect to xbox live wirelessly

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Than do not worry about buying another one.

Heres how one works.

When you buy one, you take everything out of the box, and hook it up to your COMPUTER first. Run the CD and follow the directions. this is because you can set up your wireless network so your adapter will recongize it.