Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program that Organizes Files (.mp3, .doc, .jpg)

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi,

I am a connoisseur of music and photography. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I have an internal harddrive that contains most of my programs and computer app's which is for the most part almost full. I keep the bulk of my music on an external drive for my Ipod as well as most of my photography. The problem is, every now and then my external drive will "rename" itself to a different letter such as H: Drive or E: Drive. And then my whole Itunes library which I've built has completely vanished. And part of it actually has to do with plugging in my Ipod which steals the previous Letter Drive name from my external drive. I'm looking for a program that could scan (both) drives (or individually) and can grab specific files and physically MOVE them to another bigger folder so that all my files won't be so scattered. I move songs around all the time, and I've gone through a few different ripping programs. It'd be ideal if it could grab the entire folder of mp3's if it contained only mp3's and move it to another folder. Most programs will "copy" all of the mp3's or other files and I don't want that. Itunes will almost always never put your files in the recycle bin if you hit delete. It asks you sometimes when you remove them from your library, but most times it will just delete them from it's system and not your harddrive. I want a program that brings all my files into one place so that I can personally go through and delete forever. I don't have enough space and a program that merely copies files won't help me. I am a photographer as well and have many high quality pictures, as well as tif's and pdf's lying around on my external drive in many many different folders. I need something to help me get organized here and help me realize what space I can clear. My whole Itunes library is gone and I am sick of looking through download.com for help. You guys are the people to talk to. Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks,
Dan M.

Edited by hysteria, 27 December 2006 - 04:46 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Regarding the changing drive-letter of your external drive, it has everything to do with the status of that drive whenever you plug in your iPod. Windows assigns drive letters in strict order as and when they are required. In other words if you plug-in your iPod when the external hard drive is switched off, Windows will give it's drive letter to the iPod, and vice versa.

If you want your external hard drive to always have the same drive-letter, you must always leave it connected AND switched on. Now when you plug in your iPod, Windows will not let your iPod have that drive letter since it's already being used.

Edited by pip22, 28 December 2006 - 11:29 AM.