Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are these files?

• Please log in to reply

zurzu

zurzu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello everyone,

This is probably a basic question but what are the 4 cab files disguised as rar? they are heavy [bleep] it!

By the way, i'm running XP pro., this is an admin. account.
I'm almost sure that when i created another admin. account, it also had a few heavy cab files.

Any explanation?

Thanks,

zurzu

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_zurzu.jpg

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
1. your default zip filer appears to be Win-RAR
2. have you done any backups of system files lately, these might be them
3. open one up and see what's in it...they are too large to have been unwittingly downloaded, I would say...just tap on it with the right mouse button and open to a suggested folder, then look at the contents...
4. respond accordingly
5. nothing should happen if you prescanned it with your anti-viuus/anti-malware prog, then open it with Win-RAR...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some manufacturers, such as Compaq, put the installation files into larger cab files with that naming system. You can view them with winrar or the cabinet extraction tool without extracting them to see what they contain. I'm mystified by the autorun.inf file though.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Open up the autorun.inf file with notepad and see what it says there. Sometimes it can indicate where to look for the files it is supposed to start up.

SRX660

zurzu

zurzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

Can't open them, says the archive is unknown format or damaged. Not winrar file, i guess, only got the icon.

this is the content of the autorun file :whistling:

[autorun]
open=OblivionLauncher.exe
icon=Oblivion.ico

self explanatory?

Would love to delete the data.cab files, don't dare just yet.

thanks again,

Zurzu

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you install a game called Elder Scrolls IV? I think these files are from that install.

http://www.elderscro...m/home/home.htm

SRX660

zurzu

zurzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Did you install a game called Elder Scrolls IV? I think these files are from that install.

http://www.elderscro...m/home/home.htm

SRX660

yes the autorun.ini is from Oblivion, but are you suggesting the fake rars are Oblivion files too, how can i be sure?

Edited by zurzu, 28 December 2006 - 10:43 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One thing you can do is move the cab files to your recycle bin and see if you have any problems afterwards. Make sure you do not have your recycle bin set to auto delete when you shut down your computer. If you do have a problem with the game when the cab files are moved it will tell you that the game needs the files to run.

You can download the trial version of Alpha Zip to see if it will open the cab files to where you can see the files in it.

http://www.tech-pro.net/alphazip.html

SRX660