Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Flash Website

• Please log in to reply

dub3325

dub3325

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to GeekstoGO, so i figure I'll let you guys know a little about me. Heres my website i've been playin with before I picked up my new job back in february.

VDL Studiowww.vdlstudio.com

Advertisements

Steelheart

Steelheart

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I like your visual design! You have quite a variety of work in your portfolio, is that what you do for a living? Or just on the side? Oh yeah, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Mike

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
heya,

Thanks :tazz: and to answer your question.....this is just a side job that I've been doing for extra cash. My portfolio isnt 100% uploaded yet, hehe I've had no time. I just don't have time to market myselfr, so most of these jobs are just friends, or friends of friends.

Steelheart

Steelheart

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I can understand that, I'm a busy person as well. I have been thinking of entering the realm of web design myself. I'm not sure where to begin, and wondering if I want the possible hassle.

I had a Desktop Publishing class last fall as part of finishing up my BAS. I was fascinated with it; I had expected an easy course over how to use Office and such. I was pleasantly surprised to learn about visual design. Now my eyes are "open". Hence my presence here in this forum, I'd like to keep my skills up and hopefully help some others.

Good to make your acquantance.

Mike

Hitokage

Hitokage

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
You need to make sure that when someone clicks on a link (the ones that are the 'main menu', hanging down) that the movie clip does not repeat... if you hold down the mouse it loops over and over and looks kind of silly.

ELIRANCH

ELIRANCH

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You are a very good designer!!
welcome! :tazz:

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Good design mate, but there is one thing that bothers me in ur site. The volume bar is too small to make anything out. When you enter the site, the music blasts off and takes a good while to do anything. Other than that, it is bloody marvellous. Good job.

Cheers! :tazz:

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
haha thx for the accolades, and yes there are a few bugs in the site but I have been too lazy to make the changes. Like I said, it was more of a hobby.

I've actually been thinking about making this my career now, since my current focus of study is becoming less interesting. I might as well go with passion right?

PS. I'm currently working on a website for an upcomming record label....I'll fill you guys in on my progress if you would like ^^

Also, I will be moving into the new jersey/nyc area soon....if anyone knows any good companies out there or any tips on job hunting, PLEASE let me know hehe. I will be looking for classes that can offer me more in depth training on web design in the area as well...if you know....please keep me informed ^^

Edited by dub3325, 23 April 2005 - 07:57 PM.

JoeBS2004

JoeBS2004

• Pip
  • 2 posts
That is a real good site and i like the design and everything else.

I am trying to produce a flash website myself and was wondering what the easist process to do this is and how good do I need to know Action Script to make a pretty good site in flash.

How long did it take you to do that site?

Good Site

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
hi Joe,

Thx for the feedback, It took me about a week to build this website to what you are seeing it as today.

I learned flashmx by picking up a simple "do it yourself" flash mx book. I believe it was called "SAMS teach yourself flashmx in 24 hours" or something like that. Then I just added some of my photoshop drawings and implemented them in flash.

As far as actionscripting goes....I learned how to use it off of Macromedia Studio MX tutorials and their easy "click" actionscripting. I would recommend it if you are trying to learn.

Another source you could use is Lynda's Flash tutorials....which can be found on bit torrent sites or IRC sites possibly. These are video tutorials of how to learn what you want in flash. Very helpful. All of these tools got me off to a good start.

My best piece of advice is....to do the Flash Tutorial in your flash program (you should do this with any new program you are trying to figure out :tazz: )

You do not need to be GREAT at actionscripting to produce a flash site, but it makes it a lot easier if you understand the basic concepts.

JoeBS2004

JoeBS2004

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks ALOT

I have been trying to figure this out for about a week.

I am going to check out these tutorials and start on a site of my own.

Thanks again

dub3325

dub3325

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
np Joe, if you need any help, just ask.

Estrella

Estrella

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,
Great site, really cool graphics and sounds.
Would suggest you make the ENTER button on the opening page more visible. (bigger font, color?) I had to look to see it.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Looks great! B)

Just find it funny that the page itself was made it Frontpage.

:tazz: