Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Pro... Expert Needed

• Please log in to reply

R2D2

R2D2

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Does anyone know how to change the default folder icon for windows XP Pro. I am not wanting to use icon packager, style xp, or any program of the sort, but just windows itself.

Ps... I know how to change the icon for individual folders but not for the default ugly yellow folder that windows assisgns to every new folder that is created and for all the preexisting folders.

I know it has to be possible. If you go to the Start - My Computer - Click on Tools - Click on Folder Options - File Types Tab - Select (NONE) Folder - Click the Advanced button - an then at the top of "edit File Type" there is a button for Change Icon.... but it is greyed out... I have even tried logging on as administrator and and in safe mode and it was greyed out as well.... so maybee there is a registry entry that needs to be changed or just some box somewhere that I dont know about?

See here:
1.JPG

Edited by R2D2, 27 December 2006 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Click "file folder" instead of folder, then "advanced".
Johanna

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
did that and it changed the icon in just the folder options window... but i went through a bunch of my folders and nothing was changed, even after restarting the pc. So i tried it in admin and safe mode and still nothing changed. Any other ideas?

PS.... even created a bunch of new folders with new documents and such in them and still all i get is the ugly yellow folders?

PSS..... oh darn..... now when i open any folder i get the search box that opens... not the folder contents.... even if i create a new folder and put something in it... then when i open it i get the stupid search box and not the contents of the folder.... dont suppose you know how to fix that back do you?

Edited by R2D2, 28 December 2006 - 07:07 AM.

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
u still helpin me ???

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You may want to visit the malware forum intro page and double check your system.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Do you have an XP cd?

Johanna

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I dont have any malware i just reformatted and reinstalled windows the day before i started this thread.

The problem is what you had me do...

before i tried that, when i double clicked on a folder it just opened, like normal.

Immediatly after i did what you suggested...
when i double click on a folder it opens the search window, like this.
1.JPG

All i need to know is how to undo... what you had me do?

Ps... yes i have the xp pro cd that came with this PC, and the one i used to reformat and reinstall.

Edited by R2D2, 28 December 2006 - 07:00 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Use a System Restore point.
Johanna

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
aggghhhh.. will do that after WoW gets done downloading.. maybee a few hours so illl get back to you tomorrow if that doesnt work or not, ok.

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok the restore point fixed the folder issue... any other ideas on how to change the icons?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Might wanna tuck this one away for future reference in case you get the same problem of search opening when you try to open a folder:

Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\folderopenssearch.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and once rebooted, try opening a folder.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
As for your problem, download the following file and run it. Make sure you have the .ico file you want to change the icons to and know where they are located. You will have to reboot your computer after running the file.

http://www.kellys-ko...riconchange.vbs

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 28 December 2006 - 07:46 PM.

R2D2

R2D2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Before i jump into changing the registry i have to ask... will that registry change allow me to change all the default folder icons in one swoop and also change all folder icons for newly created folders from now on, as well.