Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux question

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, so in an effort to teach myself something other then Windows I have just started using Ubuntu (Linux).

Although I'm sure its normal for somebody who has never used a Linux based operating system before, I still feel a bit stupid for some of the things I am having problems with.

For example, how do you open a .bin file?

I have downloaded a couple programs that I would like to use that were made for Linux, but they come as .bin files and Ubuntu keeps telling me that I can't open them without some other application. Can anybody tell me what that application would be?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The files should be executable. You can check to see what the file is with the command "file", ie. "file abc.bin".

It should return something like:

less.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Most likely, the problem is that the file does not have the executable bit set. To set the executable bit, use the command "chmod", ie. "chmod a+x abc.bin". This add the executable bit for user (u), group (g) and other (o), a is for all. You can use u, g or o if you want it to be executable just for one of those.

Then at the command prompt, you should be able to type in the program name. You may need to specify the current directory, if it is not on the path: "./abc.bin".

No reason to feel stupid, it is just a matter of learning the different ways of doing things.

Edited by Kemasa, 27 December 2006 - 07:34 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi RjBass,

A.bin is a Binary file and thus executable. .bin files what cause a program to run. They link the the parts of the program together. You have to install the program and it depends on the Package Management (programs are called packages in Linux) as to how you install them.

Ubuntu is Debian based and Synaptic is the Package Manager. It installs .deb packages.

What is the package system of the programs you want to install? (deb, rpm, tar.gz)
Are there packages in the the Ubuntu repositories?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You do not need to install programs in Linux, you can directly run them, as long as it has everything it depends on. The packages are just to make it easier to place all the needed files.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
True that you don't have to install programs but coming from a Windows Environment it's easier to say Install them to say you have to meet the dependencies for a program to run.

Meeting the requirement in individual distros can also cause issues since they often tailor the libraries to the needs of the distro and not the generic executable. With the heavily modified code Ubuntu uses to meet their vision of what Linux should be meeting the dependencies can be even harder. Which is why I would recommend trying to find packages for the distro so the dependencies get met.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok let me clarify this a bit more.

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu. It has tons of fancy software that I love using built right in. However, I found a Linux version of Real Player that I want to install, so by using the Firefox web browser that it came with I downloaded Real Player to my desktop. Real Player is a .bin file. When I double click on it to open it, it says that it can't do it. Althogh I can't remember the specific error as im not at that machine right now.

I have read tons of stuff about command lines and such, but honestly that stuff is blowing right over my head.

Keep in mind that up untill I installed Ubuntu all of a week ago at best, I had never even looked at a Linux based system before. With none of my friends or coworkers on Linux, I have no real base from which to start.

Savy?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I just looked at the repository for realplayer and there is a package there.

I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu, I tried it and I'm just not that thrilled with it, but it should have a package manager like Synaptic. Use the Search function and type in "realplay" current version 10.0.8-0ubuntu1

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya i found Synaptic today and tried it out. I searched for Real Player but it could'nt find it. Im out of town for a few days, but I plan on sitting down with the Linux machine for a bit when I return home on Tuesday.

If I have any other questions about it then I will post them here. Thanks for the help.

Have a happy new year.