Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Counter Strike Stuttering Problem

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

Recently when i log in to play counterstrike: condition zero i can play for about 2 rounds and i get this awful stutter sound that comes through my speakers and causes my game to stutter or miss frames. I begin skipping around on my screen but i look normal to everyone else. My ping is fine, and my fps is around 99 the entire time. This just recently started about 2 weeks ago and i haven't changed any hardware. My computer is clean of viruses. I run adaware, spybot, avg, and ccleaner every day. I'm a little safe about viruses seeing as i'm a computer science major. Also i reformat atleast once every 2 months. I hate a slow computer....

My rig:

p4 3.0 Ghz w/HT
Asus p5p800 motherboard
512 mb corsair value ram
ATI x850xt pe graphics card 256mb
80 gig western digital hd (defragged recently)
creative audigy 2z sound card
logitech 5.1 speakers

Things i've tried thus far....

1. Defragged hd
2. Upgraded drivers to video card, motherboard bios, sound card
3. Uninstalled and reinstalled steam and the game.
4. Checked cpu fans and cpu temperature. Everything seems fine.
5. Turned off all user processes and set the affinity to the game to run just 1 logical processor

Any help is appreciated...this is really bugging me.

Also i realized it stutters / makes this annoying sound in Source also, and in the regular game so i dont believe it has anything to do with steam.

Edited by basketball346, 27 December 2006 - 09:23 PM.

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Try unplugging the soundcard and play without sound and see if it continues, if it doesn't start up, obviously its the soundcard.

Does it do this is in non-steam/valve games also?

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Try comrade Generals choice, and if that doesn't work then you could have a hardware problem. Usually when your game starts to skip *usually what i know from being in the tech shop* is your graphics card could be overheating really bad. I have experienced that ATI cards tend to overheat reallly bad. So when it does it see if your computers TEMP spikes or check your graphics card and see if it is hot.

Just a theory.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK i disconnected the 5.1 sound card and the stuttering still took place it just didn't come in as crisp. The game still stutters and I am beginning to lean towards the pentium processor. I have noticed it heating up quite a bit lately. I think i'm going to attempt to buy a new processor since i have some extra xmas cash lying around. Any suggestions on a cpu and a cooling unit?

Oh and Battlefield 2 seemed to run fine....a bit laggy since i only have 512 ram but it didnt stutter (atleast not that i could notice)

Its a soccet 775 so its fairly new motherboard.

Thanks

~Dunleavy

Edited by basketball346, 02 January 2007 - 06:15 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Try updating your Audigy drivers from the Creative support site.

Does it still stutter when you change the sound provider to 2D miles?

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

OK i disconnected the 5.1 sound card and the stuttering still took place it just didn't come in as crisp. The game still stutters and I am beginning to lean towards the pentium processor. I have noticed it heating up quite a bit lately. I think i'm going to attempt to buy a new processor since i have some extra xmas cash lying around. Any suggestions on a cpu and a cooling unit?

Oh and Battlefield 2 seemed to run fine....a bit laggy since i only have 512 ram but it didnt stutter (atleast not that i could notice)

Its a soccet 775 so its fairly new motherboard.

Thanks

~Dunleavy

If that CPU can take BF2 yet you claim it overheats on CSS it doesn't make sense. BF2 is more demanding mean if CSS put stress on the CPU that much BF2 would make the poor thing explode.

I feel its the RAM for some reason, I see CSS have problems with RAM sometimes I don't know why, though this just be me. Anyone else think so..?

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
First off i just want to say thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions to this problem. Now I downloaded a program called speedfan which told me my processor was running at about 55* C idle, and it spiked up to near 80* C when I played games. I have come to realize i never switched my stock heatsink and fan. As we speak i'm being a shipped a Zalman heatsink and an extra gig of ram so hopefully my problems will all be solved.

Thanks again,

~Dunleavy