Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

directx 9.0c

• Please log in to reply

red123

red123

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I am currently using DirectX 9.0b and is trying to install DirectX 9.0c. I am using the december2006 redist installer to install it, but for some reason during the installation process it did not look like it did anything. The completion bar was filled in less than a second. I have checked my DxDiag and it still said that I am using DirectX 9.0b. What I did to install it was that I extracted the files from the installer into Drive C and ran the DirectXSetup.exe. Is this the way of installing it? If it isn't then can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Here are the informations in my DxDiag. Thank you :whistling:

Attached Files

Edited by red123, 27 December 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the web installer

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

red123

red123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have downloaded the webinstaller as well and for some reason the same thing happened. The installation didn't last very long. >.<

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should have shown you a size for the download, then you would click next

What do you get

red123

red123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I downloaded the 300 kb one. My friend also used that one and it worked for him. Not sure why it did not for me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click run, not save, it should give you 277KB, then a box to click run, then this

Accept the agreement, click next

red123

red123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
This time there were no bar. It just left me a message saying "The component installed are now ready for used." =(

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is a 59MB download here

http://www.filehippo...wnload_directx/

If you have broadband you can download and save to a folder then run set up

red123

red123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
This was the one that I used to install before I posted this thread. I may have installed it wrong or maybe not. Can you please give me the instructions on how to really install the redist version? Also is it necessary to uninstall my older version of DirectX first before installing the new one? Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It says it is for re-installing

The DirectX Redist is recommended for those users that do not have internet connection during installation or need to reinstall the DirectX 9.0c core runtime.
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Instructions
Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or select a different language from the Change language drop-down list and click Go.
Do one of the following:
To start the installation immediately, click Run.
To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.
To cancel the installation, click Cancel.

I would go with run first

red123

red123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have done this already and nothing still didn't change. Btw on the redist version when I run it, I had to extract a bunch of files in a folder. There are a whole bunch of zip files in it. Do I need to do anything with them in order to properly install it? What I did was that I extracted the files into Drive C and ignored the zip files and just run the DirectXSetup.exe. I am not sure if this is the right way of installing it or not, but if what I am doing is correct then.... Do you think that I should uninstall my current directx version? If so, do you know any directx uninstaller? Thanks

EDITED: I just tried using the webinstaller again for this and it finally started installing something. For some reason afterward, my DxDiag still did not regconize my directx version. It is still saying that I am running 9.0b. >.<

EDITED2: I have searched through countless forums about people having the same issue and I finally found out that there is a little bug with the directx 9.0c installer. It does not seem to correctly detect the current version on the system, as long as I am using any 9.0 version of directx, it will believe that I got the latest version of directx. I have also read about some solutions for this problem and it is that to use DirectX Eradicator to reinstall directx or reinstall my XP SP2. For the people who are familiar or have used DirectX Eradicator before, I am just wondering is it really needed to use my Window XP Professional CD in order to reinstall directx? I do not have my CD at the moment and wanted to know is there another way to reinstall my directx without the use of a CD. And about the solution about reinstalling XP SP2, I don't really understand the full detail of this. I currently already have XP SP2 and just wondering if I download the installer for SP2 and run it, will it change anything on my computer?

Edited by red123, 29 December 2006 - 01:04 AM.