Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing track #'s in audio files

• Please log in to reply

wojcicki

wojcicki

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I want to erase all of the information in my audio files so that in the Properties view of the file, in the Advanced view of the Summary tab, only the Artist and Title show up. I can erase the Year, Album and Comment just fine, but whenever I try to delete the track number, it just comes back next time I open up the file. When I do change it, I press Apply and then OK. I have turned off the options in Windows Media Player and iTunes to update the songs information automatically via the internet and still the same results. A similar thing goes for the Genre as well. Instead of coming back as it once was, it changes to Other. Any suggestions?

Edited by wojcicki, 27 December 2006 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi wojcicki,

I tried to delete the track number for a song myself and then applied it, but the next time I opened the properties up again I encountered the same thing you did.

However, with iTunes I can edit the information just fine. Therefore, you should use iTunes to edit your song information instead of using the Properties > Summary > Advanced method. Incase you do not know how, I have posted the steps in more detail below.

Import your songs to your iTunes Library
You can do this by either clicking and dragging your music files into the Library or by selecting File > Import and getting to where your song files are located.

Edit the song info
If you only have one song you need to edit, just right-click it and click 'Get Info'. However, if you have multiple songs it is tedious to do this one-by-one so just click the first song you want to edit, and then hold shift down and click the last song you want to edit. This will cause the two songs and all the songs between them in the list to be selected. Then you can just right-click and 'Get Info' for those multiple songs.

Delete whatever you need
In the 'Get Info' menu, select the Info tab and Delete anything you need from there. Then press 'OK' and whatever you deleted in that menu should be evident in the Properties > Summary > Advanced menu as well.

You should re-enable those options in Windows Media Player and iTunes because they will probably come in handy sometime later and it is not necessary to solve this problem.

Let me know if that helped or if I totally misunderstood your problem. :whistling:

Edited by Joeturf, 28 December 2006 - 06:52 AM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I've been using an MP3 tag editor called "The Godfather" for years. It's straighforward and easy to use, plus it's free.

http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/

wojcicki

wojcicki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Joeturf, you understoood it perfectly. However, I don't notice a change in the Properties of the file in My Shared Folder after I change it through iTunes. Do the files have to be in the iTunes Music folder for the changes to take effect?

diggeryo, I tried that program and so far so good. It will take some time, but it shouldn't be too bad. Do you know if you can select multiple files to change them? And do you know what the different colour backgrounds mean?

Thanks to both of you!

Edited by wojcicki, 28 December 2006 - 02:59 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Regarding selecting multiple files--> the way I understand it, whatever change you make to the options at the top of the screen will effect all the files listed in the list at the bottom unless you have the "skip" check box checked.

As for the different colored backgrounds, I was never able to figure that one out. But after doing some searching, I think I just did...go to FILE-OPTIONS-COLOR and that should answer your question.

wojcicki

wojcicki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Perfect. All of my questions have been answered! Thanks again.