Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer deleted keyboard drivers

• Please log in to reply

derubis

derubis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been working on this problem for 4 hours and I decided to turn to the online world for more helpful suggestions. I'm going to try to retell the story w/ detail so I don't get suggestions I've already tried.

I purchased an AV cable with S-video at Radio Shack and tried it out on a Radeon 9200 hooked up to a TV. I had a problem receiving an image on the TV so I consulted the Windows Help file and it recommended that I remove Adobe Type Manager. I didn't have Type Manager, but I had Download Manager and I hadn't used it in 2 years apparently, so I decided to just get rid of it. I also changed some display settings and the TV finally displayed my desktop, so I have no idea if deleting Adobe Download Manager had something to do with it or not. The main reason I wanted to get the cable was to play NES roms (of which I own the respective cartridges in my home) on the big screen. So I load up an emulator (FCEU Ultra) and Ninja Gaiden, and convert to full screen. The rom began running very slowly and lagged heavily, and I tried to exit from full screen mode but in the end had to resort to restarting my computer. The computer booted and BIOS gave me a keyboard error, something to the effect of: "Keyboard Device not detected". However, I was able to press F1 to continue booting XP. When Windows boots up, I realize that my keyboard stopped working. So, I first turn to system restore. Didn't work. I can't trace the exact model number of my keyboard, but I know that the brand is HP so I download 3 different drivers from them and none of them worked: sp24006.exe, sp26752.exe and sp26411.exe. One had installed and prompted for a restart, but after this request I never heard from the program again, and the keyboard still didn't work. The other 2 didn't install due to errors; one was: "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled (9998)." Hard to believe for me, but then I read online that that file specifically requires the orginal keyboard drivers for the update. So I downloaded the original keyboard drivers from HP. Some error occurs, something about not being able to find the file CPEKbupdate_681002.exe to execute. So I start to lose faith in HP's website and start to look at Microsoft's site to try and find any sort of standard keyboard driver which can recognize a keyboard. I end up finding one and installing it, but it doesn't work on the HP keyboard. I've looked through device manager, and saw that no keyboard was being recognized in the device list. Also, in the keyboard menu in the control panel, no hardware is installed either. I have an HP keyboard plugged into another computer, so I look at the device drivers for it, send them to my broken computer and place them in the proper folders (the device drivers included "C:\windows\system32\drivers\ps2.sys" and "C:\windows\system32\ps2.bat", yes this is a PS/2 keyboard I'm trying to get to work, should've mentioned that earlier.) I restarted, and it still doesn't work. I found out that the device manager describes the keyboard as a HP PS2 Keyboard (2K-3). I cleaned out the contacts on the PS/2 serial connector to make sure it wasn't a hygiene issue, and I've tried different keyboards. I know that one of my solutions would be to purchase a USB keyboard, as it would come with a CD with the proper drivers, but I'd rather spend my money on something else if I can actually find a free solution to this problem. It seems like it's so easy to fix but it's actually the biggest problem I've had with a computer in a long time. In light of the holiday season, is there anyone who can offer a suggestions I haven't tried yet.. I appreciate it.

Derubis

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First off, all keyboards should work without any third party drivers regardless of whether it's an HP keyboard, a logitech one or a microsoft one.The manufacturers drivers are only required if the keyboard has special function keys such as multimedia keys, volume keys or program launching keys for example. But even without the drivers the keyboard will still operate as a standard keyboard provided the port it plugs into is in working order.

The drivers that Windows uses by default to enable any keyboard to operate as a standard one are built into Windows itself. You don't need to download them or install them separately if all you want to do is type with it.

As you've tried different PS2 keyboards with no success I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the PS2 keyboard port is broken. A USB keyboard will confirm this if it works. They are not expensive items. Save yourself further hassle and get one. The alternative is to have the PS2 port circuitry looked at in a PC repair shop. Either way will cost you some money, and I'd guess having it fixed would cost considerably more than buying a new standard USB keyboard.

Edited by pip22, 28 December 2006 - 11:07 AM.