Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quality of Service - Router

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello...I am about to get VOIP and I also download alot from the internet. I was worried about my VOIP calls cutting out if I am downloading so I talked to my ISP. They said to get a Modem/Router that has 'Quality of Service' (QOS) built in.

From my understanding QOS means that I can prioritize my VOIP so that when I make a call (or I recieve a call) my download rate slows down to allow for a good quality VOIP call that doesn't cut out....Is this right???Am I correct in my description of QOS...or am I way off.

I think my Modem/Router has QOS...it is a D-Link DSL-504T

THANKS!!!!!!!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I have had VoIP through Cox Cable for almost 3 yrs and love it. With most broadband providers the available bandwidth will not be a problem. VoIP needs 90Kbps or less to function. Unless you have DSL Lite (256Kbps\128Kbps) you will have over 1 Mbps (1024 Kbps) of bandwidth. This will be ample to handle VoIP. I have 13 computer, including two servers, at my house and have never had a problem.
Here is an article about the amount of bandwidth needed for VoIP. I think you may find it covers what you need to know.

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Aklan....I don't think I will have a problem running VOIP as I intend to get an 8000Kbps connection....what I was wanting to know is that if I am downloading a big file at the maximum my internet connection can handle and a VOIP call comes through, can you set up the QOS to slow down the rate I am downloading to allow for a clear VOIP call that doesn't cut out??

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I quite frankly don't know. What I do know is in over 3 yrs I have never had an issue where one effected the other. I have not yet found a server that will allow you to connect at anywheres near 8 Mbps. If you notice hen you download from Download.com, SnapFile, Microsoft, or a score of other sites, you are limited from about 550 Kbps or less. That is because they are charged buy how much bandwidth they use per month. If you download a file from SnapFile at 350Kbps now, it may drop to 150 Kbps if you try the same download 2 hours from know. If they have paid for 10 Gbps that bandwidth id divided up among all the uses that are downloading files at any given time.
The point of the rambling is you will have ample bandwidth and should see no hit when either your VoIP or downloading come together.
Relax and enjoy the power :whistling: .

Edited by acklan, 29 December 2006 - 08:49 PM.

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Cool...thanks Acklan...exactly what I needed to hear :whistling: