Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM disappears and does not open.

• Please log in to reply

XelNaga

XelNaga

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm having a really strange problem with my CD-Rom. In the "My Computer" window it shows the cd-rom (D: drive) I can even open it and view the nothingness inside. This is only when theres no cd in it.
When I do put a CD in it It does not start the auto-run like it normaly would. the light on the cd-rom blinks on and off in a very simple pattern just on and off not too fast not too slow.
If I try to open the D drive (cd-rom drive) the whole "my computer" window stops responding. when i "end tack" it all I can see is the background and the curser. The icons and start bar all vanish. I can Ctrl+Alt+del to bring up the Task Manager and under the Applications tab is shows the "my computer" window is stull up and still not responding. I can try to end it again but it stays up there. So i Use the task manager to restart the computer. Note* during this whole time I cant eject the CD.

When the computer restarts im able to eject the cd before the desktop appears. If i leave the cd in there the computer starts up as normal but the CD drive is not shown in the My Comp window and I cant eject the cd.

For some reason i put a Lazer lens cleaner cd in it thinking it might help. Expecting it to lock up like it normaly does with a game cd it suprised me by not doing any thing. When i try to open the CD drive it lets me but says the files are unreadable by this computer or the cd needs formated.
all this cleaner cd has on it file wise is a few sound tracks that talks to you thou the cleaning.
My main comp was able to use the cleaner easly.
Sence it was not able to read the audio files I think the lens is either damaged or maybe a wire came loose in the back...

I have ran out of ideas to fix this on my own.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sounds like you have done all you can. Perhaps you can delete the drivers for the cdrom drive in device manager and see if windows will reinstall them. The problem here is that if the drive is not seen by windows it won't try reloading drivers so the drive does not work anymore. With prices for new cdrom's are less than $20 i would buy a new one and install it.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827101133

SRX660