Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway Memory Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply

JK27

JK27

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
I am wanting to add more memory to my Gateway GT5064. It currently has 1 GB (2 x 512mb). The PC can hold up to 4 GB and has four slots, two which are free. I am wanting to add 1 GB so that I have a total of 2GB. My question is, it is okay just to add a single 1 GB stick of RAM correct and not 2 x 512mb? This would give me 2 sticks of 512 and 1 gig stick.

Thanks

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Apparently your gateway supports dual channel, so for best performance you need to get 2 x 512mb sticks.

According to this website I found: http://www.memorysto...ewayGT5064.html

You need PC4200 DDR2

Whether you can configure it with 2x512m and 1x1GB I could not find out after searching Gateway and other sites. I imagine it would work (I can't say for sure) but you would not get the speed boost of dual channel support.

So I would definately go with 2 x 512mb.

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Okay, so I'll go with the 2 x 512. Now, does it really matter what brand memory I get? Gateway tech support was very unwilling to help me and basically said nothing but Gateway memory would work. I find this hard to believe since it came with Samsung installed. I figured I'd ask your opinion though. I'm currently watching an auction for 2 x 512 of the same memory already installed.

Thanks

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well I already looked up your computer on Kingston's website and found nothing.

The only advice I can give is to buy from a company that guarantees compatibility or your money back.

Just curious, was gateway willing to sell you the memory upgrade and what did they want to charge you for it?

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
They're website "memory finder" came up with nothing, that's why I contacted Gateway's support. They did offer "Gateway" memory upgrades, but prices were 200+tax+shipping for a GB. When I asked if other brands would be compatible, they blew me off.

Anyway, I opened the PC and wrote down the numbers from the original memory. I'm trying to find a good deal on the same so that I won't have a problem. This is what was installed when I purchased it from Gateway:

(2x) (LABELS READ:)

Samsung 512 MB 1R x 8 PC2-4200U-444-12-D3
CN M378T6553CZ3-CD5 0603
SEC 6012CD5
K4T510830C
02-32169NO1AB

Thanks!

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
This may do the trick for you. They are 70 bucks each and genuine Samgsung memory.

http://www.memorysto...amp;Passfrm=lnk

If you are not sure, you can email their tech support to verify compatibility before you buy, and they seem as a whole to guarantee compatibility to your computer.

I have never ordered from this company however, so have no opinion on them.