Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

harddrive not showing up after installation

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Windows XP Pro.

Installed a spare harddrive that had an old version of Linux on it.
Used a Linux rescue disk and deleted all partitions.
I know I need to partion then format the hd but where is it.
It does not show up in 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer'.
'Device Manager' shows it as alive and well.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Also, added an external USB harddrive and it does not show up.
It is in 'Device Manager' also.

In addition, there is a 'Floppy B' in 'My Computer' but there is not b floppy.

Thanks,
dlw

Advertisements

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello! merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! what is the manufacturer of your HD? try going into their website, they always have a utility where it can erase all thats inside the 2nd HD your using.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, since windows cnnot see raw partitions or linux partitions the drive will not show up on my computer or explorer. It does show up in device manager simply because windows still uses a form of DOS to recoginize hardware. Like howell says you can use the Hd makers utilities to partition the drive, or you can even use a DOS floppy boot up disk(win 98 boot disk) to partition as FAT16, or FAT32 and later repartition back to a linux partition with a bootable linux CD.

Again if the external HD is not partitioned windows cannot see it. With XP Pro you can go into computer management> storage>disk management and partition the drive there.

Many older computers had bios that used 2 floppy drives, one drive (the "a") was for a regular 1.44 MB floppy drive and the second ("b") floppy drive was usually a Iomega 100 Mb drive that lots of businesses used for backup purposes before CD's became so cheap to use. Imation made a 120 Mb floppy drive also. I still have 3 Imation 120Mb kits around here somewhere. I think if you click on the "b" drive in explorer it will get an error of some kind because nothing is hooked up to it. I would just ignore it as it really doesnt hurt anything. Perhaps you can disable this in the BIOS. I haven't tried so i'm not sure.

SRX660

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The internal hd is a Samsung 120G showing as a 32G.
I have to remove and set some jumpers, partition and format.

The external is formating now.

The b floppy was turned on in BIOS; turned it off.

I've been using Linux and W98 for years.
This XP is new to me and I must say I'm not too fond of it so far.
But, there is a learning curve to everything.

Thanks for the help.

dlw