Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need assistance in installing Win 95 O/S on Gatewa

• Please log in to reply

confused_pastor

confused_pastor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Afternoon, folks. Was hoping that someone could help me with this problem.

The church recently received 4 computers which were donated by a state agency that recently upgraded their hardware. These Gateway E-3200 - 500 P III computers were received with absolutely no software on them at all, including an operating system.

Fortunately, a member of the church has provided a Windows 95 O/S installation disk. I have attempted to install this O/S, and then proceed from there, but I cannot get the computer to boot from the CD/ROM drive.

I have selected F1 (setup) from the first screen that appears, and have tried to get it to read first from the CD/ROM drive. When I save those changes and reattempt, it again tries to read from the A: (3 1/2 floppy) drive.

I would like to solve this problem myself, rather than taking the computers in to a repair facility as we don't have the budget to have the O/S installed professionally. Any help from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Pastor,

Are all the computers doing this or is it just one? The reason I ask is if it is just one maybe there is a floppy in the drive and the computer never gets to checking the cd. Also check by looking in the drive for something stuck in there, believe me I have seen it before or just try one of the other computers.

If not the above it sounds like the cd is not bootable so you maybe able to use a windows 98 boot startup disk that you can create on any windows 98 machine and boot from it then insert the windows 95 cd to load windows.

If none of the above work please post back I am sure we can get these running without cost to the church.

Rick

confused_pastor

confused_pastor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info, Rick. I really appreciate the quick response!

I've tried all four computers with the same response. And I've taken a flashlight and "peered into the dark recesses" of the A: drives and didn't find anything strange. (although I must admit that the senior pastor walked in while I was looking and wanted to know what screws had come loose!!).

If you could give me some information on how to make the bootable disk, I'd really be in your debt. I have a Windows XP here on my desk that I can use to set it up.

Thanks again for your assistance!!

Jeromy

confused_pastor

confused_pastor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, folks. I just received a message (and I'm very grateful) from an individual on this board who enlightened me about the task I'm trying to undertake.

I just would like everyone to know that I'm not asking or attempting to "pirate" any software in order to make the donated computers useable. Please do not get that impression. I have checked each machine and verified that there is a sticker (with a holographic image) I guess indicating that a Windows 98 O/S was originally installed with the computer when it was purchased.

I don't want anyone to think that I (especially acting in the role of a pastor) am trying to do anything illegally.

Thanks for understanding!

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi Pastor

If you've got Pentium III machines - you won't want to install windows 95 on to them if you going to connect to the internet. Windows 95 is notorious for being wide open to security vulnerabilities - you'd be better off with 98 (second edition).

A pentium III processor is blinding fast, Windows 95 won't know what's hit it - when you shut down, Windows writes important info to the hard drive from a temp. storage area called a cache.

Your computers will shut down before this has happened, Windows 98 has an update available that addresses this issue. Note also, Windows 98 still receives critical security updates, 95 does not.

You have modern machines, Windows 95 will not recognise much of your hardware and driver support from vendor websites may be poor. Believe me 98 is a better starting point.

If your worried about licensing issues, go to a high street dealer and ask if they'll do you a deal on 4 Windows 98 Second Edition OEM packages - but still expect to part with £100 or more!

I wouldn't use a WindowsXP boot floppy for anything other than XP.

To create a boot floppy from a Windows 98 machine, click on [start] --> [settings][control panel][add/remove programs][windows setup][create startup disc]

May be worded differently, but you'll find it (I'm using Win2k at mo)

If you get good copies of Windows 98 Second Edition (avoid the first edition, it's notoriously buggy) - it's easier to format your drives and install Windows from the CD.

Given you've got Pentium III's, your BIOS must support booting from CD.

Enter Del or F1 or whatever key your bios prompt you for when restarting your PC.

Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move around, when 'Standard CMOS settings' or somthing like is highlighted, hit [return], move down to boot sequence and use the [page up] or [page down] keys to change your options, so that the CD-ROM is the first boot device.

Pressing F10 should prompt you to save your settings to CMOS and exit the bios.

Restart your machine with your Windows 98 second edition CD in the drive and your PC should boot from the CD - make sure no floppies are loaded!

If your PC won't boot from the CD, maybe the CD drive isn't setup right and isn't being recognised by the bios. This is down to somethings called jumper settings, or may be because somebody has installed the hard drive and CD drive in incorrect postitions, either on the motherboard or the data ribbon cable - that flexible banded ribbon you see inside the machine.

Anyway, talking through jumper settings is hard to do remotely, find yourself a sympathetic friend.

Hope you find some of this info useful - don't get me wrong, I like Windows 95 in a stand alone environment, but wouldn't install it if I wanted internet access or if I had such a fast processor as you have.

Good luck.

p.s. other operating systems are available at a fraction of the cost of windows, but most casual pc users are put off learning something new/unfamiliar. Check out Linux, find a linux buddy and welcome to the revolution :tazz:

Cheers

daveB - LinuxWannabee