Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card overheating?

• Please log in to reply

Ty2015

Ty2015

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. I've recently started using a GeForce 6200 (256 MB) and the temperature gets rather high. During idle times the GPU temperature is around 60ºC/140°F. But when I play video games it soars to about 82°C/180ºF.

System info (from EVEREST): AMD Sempron 2400+, 1 GB of RAM, Mother board name: PCChips M863G

Is that too high or am I worried over nothing? Also, the case I'm using is a bit cramped and could use one or two more fans. Are there any cases (and fans) you could recommend?

Thank for reading. Any help would of course be greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Artimecion

Artimecion

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
If I remember, Nvidia class "dangerous" as 125 degrees C. So you are just about ok, although that is still quite hot to be running at, and might well cause some slowdowns on games and possibly even some random shutdowns after long periods of use.

If you shove a couple of standard fans in, to get some airflow, you should be ok - or you can take a look at putting in an extraction fan or even a graphics card cooler if you are that worried about it.

If you have up-to-date forceware drivers, take a look at the Nvidia control pannel settings - there is an option to monitor the temperature, and the option to display warnings when it is getting over hot. It might be useful!

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
try adding a case fan if you do not have one to get all the heat flowing outside of the case. It will make a decrease in temps. I added one before my mobo was around 42degrees celsisus now it is around 34-37.

-yield22

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

If I remember, Nvidia class "dangerous" as 125 degrees C. So you are just about ok, although that is still quite hot to be running at, and might well cause some slowdowns on games and possibly even some random shutdowns after long periods of use.

If your card is running that hot, it'll shut down for good. You know you have a problem once you have reached the 85oC mark. Your still on the very hot side.
James

Ty2015

Ty2015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, a friend of mine was able to check it for himself and solve the problem. He said my problem was that- although my PSU is at a solid 450 W, it was made from a poor manufacturer. Thus it made the entire computer overheat. He exchanged it for one of his old ones and now the temp rarely goes above 60ºC (even when playing high end games).

But, thanks anyway for the help guys! I appreciate it. :blink: :whistling:

Edited by Ty2015, 30 December 2006 - 03:24 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade its fixed.
James