Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cleanup

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
hi, i got this computer to work again its a gateway

192 mbs ram intel celeron processor
564 mhz

windows xp sp2

heres the thing when i try to run cleanup it stops and the window closes this also happens with pcpitstop, and gateway.com when i ask it to look at my config.

ive ran all the microsoft updates i think
ive also tried tuning off firewalls and antivirus, and closed all progams running in background. these have worked on this computer before.

i ran into a prob with hard drive and had to reinstall windows wiped everything to get it done thats when these stopped working

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
MS recommends 256 Mgs of ram for XP..they say it will run on 128 but its at sloth speed...(think slightly faster than snail)...add more RAM or be prepared for a lot of grief...

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ah that was next thing on list. this will take 512 so thats what i want to do just got to talk to grampaw first it his puter :whistling: thxs

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
even with 512 Mgs of RAM it will never be fast because of the slow processor...it will be OK for surfing the net...just don't try running anything intensive...

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i bumped it up to 384 and i didnt think cleanup program was to intensive it work before. ive done some looking this must have somthing to do with my date and time it was way off for some reason. and ive got ie7 , think that my be it :whistling:

Edited by trucker, 28 December 2006 - 03:46 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i ive done some looking this must have somthing to do with my date and time it was way off for some reason. and ive got ie7 , think that my be it :whistling:

your time can be set in the bios...it needs to be reasonably accurate....
you may also have to change the CMOS battery...it's like a watch battery...its on the motherboard...costs 2 or 3 bucks.....

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ok time is set right in bios, But some how and i dont know how i show windows was installed 1/1/2090 that i think may be my hang up. when i try to use pc pit stop thats where it hangs up checking windows install date

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you also set the date in the bios....
you can click on start...run..... type in services.msc...scroll down to bottom...double click on ...windows time..
in the drop down window click on ..automatic....then start the service...close down the services window ...you may have to reboot for the change to take affect..
if the time does not stay current then I would change the Cmos battery...

what are you using PCpitstop for ....

Edited by happyrck, 29 December 2006 - 07:45 AM.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
pc pitstop's dill comes up when im at gateway's site. i ask gateway to look at current setup. its just a place that shuts down the window the same way as cleanup program thought it my be caused by the same thing is all. all i really would like to do is have a very ez way to clean all temp files. it best for ppl who dont have alot of pc background to have one click fix

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
all you need is ccleaner...run the cleaner and ALL the garbage is gone ...one or two clicks and about 20 seconds and its done...get THE SLIM VERSION...DON'T PLAY WITH THE OTHER TOOLS

http://www.ccleaner....oad/builds.aspx

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
:help: that did the trick thxs :whistling: case closed :blink:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts