Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Raid 0

• Please log in to reply

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am about to do a raid 0 this weekend. i was wondering if anyone could give me a beginners step by step instructions. i look for some good ones online but only found one really good one http://www.overclock...ners-guide.html . i need a second opinion. is he missing anything. or u can just give me all new instructions. ty someone plz help

Edited by SeraphHHC, 28 December 2006 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
You may also find your motherboard manual has a pretty good raid setup guide. Mine did.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you want a RAID 0 configuration when it'll give you little, if any, performance increase and expose your data to being unrecoverable once one of the drives die?

But anyway, its your computer so your choice. The link you posted to looks okay. It may vary slightly with your board though.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
little performance increase? i heard it helps a lot. is this true that u can barley tell the difference

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

little performance increase? i heard it helps a lot. is this true that u can barley tell the difference

You will only see performance increases when you do benchmarking, and even then the gains are insignificant to a point that in real world use, it'll be no faster than it was with just one drive.

The only real benefit RAID as a whole has is its uses in company servers and what not; it doesn't really have any place in a home environment because it doesn't offer any extra benefits.

When a hard drive fails in a RAID 0 setup, you lose everything on it, period.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 December 2006 - 01:41 PM.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ya u are right i think i will just use the other drive for storage