Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

delete auto completers?

• Please log in to reply

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
my topic title is not very descriptive that is because i am not surewhat it is even called.

picture the google search bar, yu know when yu type in words to search for stuff there is a little drop menu that shows all the words that yu have previously searched for.

just for example i want to search for "movies" and i start to type in the "mo" the beginning of "movies"
then there will be a drop down menu that shows everything i hasve ever searche dfor in google starting with
"mo" for example "motel, mogul, monorail"

ok so now that i have explained wat i am talking about im sure theres a name for that like drop down quick reference search bar or something...

but how do i delete akll previously searched searches in google

because the searches are saved in google and not my history there must be a way that i am not aware of

if yu know could yu please let me know tahnk yoiu

ok so ive got some clues....
go tools, internet options....
then what

is it auto complete i want to delete?????? please guide me further

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Deleting individual entries from AutoComplete
When you fill out a form, Windows XP's AutoComplete feature drops down a list with information you've previously typed into the form -- including any misspelled entries. Unless you know this trick, those misspelled entries could hang around and bother you for years.
Individual AutoComplete list entries are fairly easy to delete:

1. Click in the form's box, and press the down-arrow key to view the previous entries.
2. Keep pressing the down-arrow key until you've highlighted the bothersome entry.
3. Press the Del key to delete the entry.

Be sure to use your keyboard for this, as your mouse won't do the trick. Also, this doesn't work for Web addresses typed into Internet Explorer's address bar. To clear those, you need to delete Internet Explorer's History.

Turning off AutoComplete completely
If you don't like seeing your user names, passwords, and other information sitting in drop-down windows, tell Windows to stop by doing this:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Choose Internet Options from the Tools menu.
3. Click the Content tab.
4. Click the AutoComplete button.
5. Click to remove checkmarks from these items:

* Web addresses
* Forms
* User names and passwords on forms
* Prompt me to save passwords

6. Click the Clear Forms button.
7. Click the Clear Passwords button.
8. Click OK.

Deleting old entries from the Search Companion
But you're not through yet. Windows XP's Search Companion also includes an AutoComplete feature, so it can remember every file and phrase you've searched for. Here's how to turn it off, as well:

1. Choose Search from the Start menu.
2. Choose Change Preferences.
3. Choose Turn AutoComplete off.

Although this stops the Search Companion's little doggy from saving your future search strings, it won't erase the existing entries. You can delete individual entries one at a time, as described earlier on this page, but to delete them all at once, download and run this program from Doug Knox' Web site.
Many programs, including Media Player and your Start menu, keep lists of your Most Recently Used files in a drop down box below your File menu. These lists can be deleted also, but they require a different clean-up method.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If what concerns you is the list of previous search terms that start to show as you type in a new search term for Google, that's just your browser's AutoComplete feature at work. It works on most web forms, and the Google search page is just one of those forms. To delete the contents of the AutoComplete list in Internet Explorer:

* Click on the Tools menu
* Click on Internet Options...
* Click on the Content tab
* In the Personal information section, click on the AutoComplete button
* Click on the Clear Forms button, and answer Yes to the resulting confirmation