Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I install XP on an empty Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

dcoons

dcoons

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I aquired two Toshiba laptops, a Satellite pro 490 XCDT, and a Portege 7071 CT. I need to find out what drivers I need to install to be able to install XP, because the XP disk will not boot in DOS mode. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You, DC

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need DOS mode.

Just go into BIOS, change the boot order to boot off CD first, put your XP CD in and there you go.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do NOT attempt to install XP on either of these laptop computers. Neither one is on the hardware compatibility list for XP. You will have problems with drivers since there are none that have been made to match XP up to their specifications. You will be in for a verylong period of time to get things to work and then you will find the computers so slow it's not even worth the effort. Sorry to disappoint you but this is a lost cause. Please trade up to a much newer computer in the 1 gig or higher processor range.

SRX660

dcoons

dcoons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Do NOT attempt to install XP on either of these laptop computers. Neither one is on the hardware compatibility list for XP.

SRX660

I definately won't try to install XP on either of these Laptops. I will try to acquire a 98 second edition for them.
These laptops are just for my kids to learn on. I have a Dell insperon 8200 laptop, a Dell Deminsion 4600c desktop, and an Acer travelmate 730 for my wife and I. The toshibas were very cheap and worth a little effort.