Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing a 2nd HDD

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi there,

Im having a problem installing my 2nd HDD.

I have installed it correctly into my pc. I have set a slave drive to it, and set my older HDD to master.

When I booted my PC it said new hardware found, but when I went into My Computer the drive hasnt appeared there. It appears in the device manager, but I can not enable it as it is blanked out (as showen in the picture below)

hdd.JPG

I have no idea whats up?!

Can anyone help me please, a tut on how to make it work or something? Thanks in advanced

bobbobagan

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The properties sheet you've attached appears to be for your system (boot) drive, not the drive you're having trouble with. Location 0 (0) refers to your system boot drive (or it should do) and that's why the 'Device Usage' options are not available -- that's normal for the system drive.

Your second drive (the slave drive) should show as 'Location 1 (1)' in it's properties sheet if it's connected to the same cable as the system drive, not Location 0 (0).

Check that the system drive is set to 'Master' and attached to the end connector on the IDE cable, with the second (slave) drive attached to the middle connector. You probably have them the wrong way round on the IDE cable.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi there,

thats how I have the IDE cables set up.

On my other disc drive, it also says the device is working normally :S I have no idea whats wrong. Any other ideas?

hdd.JPG

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to format it before it shows up in My Computer.

Please see this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323967 (This is for Win2k but it works exactly the same in Windows XP)

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
don't worry guys. Found the problem, I havent enabled it under computer management :blink: my bad :whistling: