Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

centrino wireless detection

• Please log in to reply

andrewlee2

andrewlee2

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Sony Viao Centrino 1.6GHz 1G RAM notebook. I reinstalled XP Pro SP2 (CD install bootable) after my notebook crashed. After reinstalling the OS, my Sony Vios Centirno with the new copy of XP pro cannot detect my wireless network. I have a DSL router wireless system and is running OK with 2 other notebooks in my house. Please assist me to resolve my wirless problem.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you have the latest drivers for your wireless card?

andrewlee2

andrewlee2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My notebook has the Intel Centrino technoloy incoporating wirless capability and I am not using a wireless card. Why can't my current XP pro detect the centrino wireless capability. Hoe\w do I set XP pro to reconinise the centrino inbuilt wirless capability or do I have to find a driver somewhere?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did you use a restore CD from Sony to reformatt?

andrewlee2

andrewlee2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No. My Viao came loaded up without any recovery disk. I reformatted with a new fresh copy of XP pro.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What is the model of your Sony VIAO, so I can see if I can look up drivers and software for you.

andrewlee2

andrewlee2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
VGN-FJ68GP/W
Intel Pentium M processor 750 1.86GHz
Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g
1G RAM

Thank you

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Wait hold on a second, if you are not using a card, why do you need to find this?

andrewlee2

andrewlee2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My new copy of XP doe not reconginsie the integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g in my Sony Vaio. I have a broadband wireless router system running in my house. My son's HP laptop with integrated wirelss h runs really well in the house. The wireless worked in my Vaio before.

Should the questions be:

How do I confogure XP in my Vaio to use the integrated wireles?
Is it a driver I need to load to my XP?

Can you help?

I understand a wireless card to be a seperate add on card to older notebook I also have an older sony vaio with an add on wireless 11G cardbus (driver that came with the hardware) and it works very well with the wireless system in my house.

Your reply please.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.. my email accounts are like blehhh.

Try taking out the wireless card and tell me the name and brand of it.