Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

IP Issues

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys i need your help real bad. Okay this is wats goin on:
So i tried connecting my computer to my network. It connects fine ip packets are sent fine but then i don't receive anything back. It also tells me this stupid message "The network did not assign a network address to the computer."
Thanks in for your help in advance.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
It sounds like DHCP is turned off. The IP address it the network number the modem\router\server assigns to your computer so it can be form on the network. Without a IP address your cannot find you.
What type of internet connection do you have (dialup, ADSL, cable,..)? What is the make and model of modem and router (if you have one)? Has this problem just started?