Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

isearch window popping from system tray

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

browny

browny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This particular problem doesn't seem to be common - as far as I can tell from all the posts I've spent the last several days reading and, believe me, I think I've read everything I can find online relating to 'isearch removal'. What I have is not the typical isearch toolbar but a very irritating little window which slides up and down the corner of my desktop, just above the system tray. It opens a slightly larger window for the results of it's 'search'. I've managed to do some damage to it - it can't actually 'search' for anything. The white screen which opens does have 'isearch' shaded on it so I at least know who these [bleep]s are. I've dowloaded Ad-Aware SE Professional and have Spybot S&D. I've ran these in 'safe mode' and they didn't help though they did clear a lot of other crap missed when I ran them before. I've printed out all the suggestions I could find online, tried unregistering everything recommended e.g. toolbar.dll or toolbar_.dll, searched for bad entries in the registry editor (not finding any of the ones supposedly relating to the isearch toolbar removal), there's nothing obvious listed in downloaded programs I can see, so I think this isearch issue is different?
I cannot seem to download HijackThis! My security setting is medium so this may be the reason for not being able to dowload. (I'd previously attempted to change it to high to see if I could stem the flow of crap but this setting refused to be changed. I tried this in safe mode too and no go either. I realise not having this info to post hinders you all so I need suggestions on how to get this dowloaded and/or what else I can try to get rid of isearch?
Oh, and I'm not a genius so please feel free to dumb it down when offering suggestions and I do mean DUMB. I'd sure like to know if anyone else has this bloody thing too. Thanks.

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Download Hoster
Unzip it to a convenient place and open the program.
Choose "Restore Original Hosts" and press "OK".
Close the program.

Try downloading now. If it worked, post a log here in your reply to this topic.

EDIT:
No reply was posted for more than two weeks.