Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

AnnoyedPCuser

AnnoyedPCuser

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I just ran my virus scanner and unfortunately for me I mistakenly erased some rootkit that was put on my pc by a sony music cd. Now that the rootkit is erased I cant play any music cds nor can i play movies. Please help I dont know how I can ever play my cd's or movies again. Thank You!

Advertisements

titandawn

titandawn

• Pip
  • 9 posts
what program do you use to read media? if it is windows media player, you could try reinstalling the program.
to do that, remove wmp from the add and remove programs page then download it from the net and install it.

AnnoyedPCuser

AnnoyedPCuser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well i guess by erasing this rootkit thingy I must have jacked up my cd rom because not only can I not play cd's or movies on media player, I cant even play them on my itunes. Sigh! :whistling:

titandawn

titandawn

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I dont know what a rootkit is, and assume that it is something nessecary in the program folder.

heres a bunch of questions:
Could you possibly find the file that your anti virus erased, if it archived it before erasing it? could you revert Your computer to a previous backup point from system restore? -system restore is found under: control panel/performance and maintenance, then a button on the left pane of the window: system restore

Could you play regular mp3's stored on your hard drive?
What kind of cd drive do you have? Do you refer to a dvd drive? Is it a rw or rom?

I think if you found your cd drives model and make, you could reinstall the drivers from the companies website.
there is a driver list when you right click my computer, go to the hardware tab, then click on device manager.

im pretty sure if you reinstall the drivers for your cd drive that it would fix the problem, but it could be hard to fix if there are any problems after reinstalling.

im going to let my sister use this computer so ill be back in an hour.

hope this helps

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hello and welcome, to g's2go.

if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This isn't malware, is was only an attempt by sony to try and catch people who where illegally coping CD's. It was a disaster as it caused a security hole in your computer. Not to mention that it downloaded things without your permission.
As for a rootkit, its a program that try's to hid something from the user. It must be removed as your antivirus has already done here.
Malware doesn't appear to be the culprit. Did you change anything else on your computer before this began to happen.
James

Edit: Please look at your CD's(they will say somewhere on the case in fine print that they are watching you), as there is one or more of them infected with this rootkit, and the CD must go. Sony has said that it would replace the disc in the past free of charge, but am unsure if they are continuing to do so.

Edited by james_8970, 29 December 2006 - 12:23 AM.

AnnoyedPCuser

AnnoyedPCuser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
TitanDawn thank you for the idea of restoring...I did just that and everything works just fine now :whistling:

James yes ur right about what sony has done I had a few cds infected. They released a patch(supposedly) last year and I did get the patch. Although I am no pc expert I highly doubt this patch did a darn thing to keep me safe seeing as though every time i run my virus scan this XCP.CDProxyRootKit reads as a trojan. The unfornate thing about this for me is that I cant erase this thing off my pc because for one if I do then it somehow wont let my use my cd-rom(like it wouldnt a while ago). I guess seeing as though this rootkit installed itself on my pc without my knowledge, it's like i blindly signed a contract and gave sony the permission to revoke my cd-rom privledges if I erase that crap off my pc. Another sad reason why i cant erase this is because im envolved in a class action suit and was advise not to erase the rootkit.

titandawn

titandawn

• Pip
  • 9 posts
wooo hooo, your welcome

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Every time you enter the CD into your drive, it does an "autorun". What this means is that it automatically loads anything from the CD and opens it to your computer, this is handy so that when you pop your CD/DVD/Game in it'll automatically load, but it also leaves your computer vulnerable. As for the patch, I believe microsoft released something to cover the holes but i'm not 100% of this. Once the class action suit is over, i'd suggest you either get new CD's free of charge from sony, or else place all the songs onto your harddrive and then remove the rootkit that sony places onto your computer. You out also disable auto run, but this process is difficult and risky as you need to use the registry to do so.
James