Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hiding or Ghosting your IP

• Please log in to reply

Jigalow

Jigalow

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was just wondering if there was any free programs out there that would work to hide my IP or at least ghost it or give me a different one when I play online games. I would like to play on some servers with out people knowing who I am. I play alot of UT so If anyone knows a program that I could run while playing I would appreciate it.

I don't want anything that has to do with me changing anything within my .INI cause changing your INI will cause anticheat to kick you. I don't want any cheats or anything like that, All I want to do is log on to some of the game servers without the Admins knowing who I really am. Thanks alot.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I am going to move this to the games forum. Before anyone helps you tho, you will need to tell me why you want to do this? Seems to me like the only reason you would need this is to get help getting around a ban from a server.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
No there is really not a way without "Cheating" to hide your IP, this is because when you connect to a server the server will save your IP address and people will know who you are. Though if your on Dial-up then you don't have a static IP so your IP would change constantly.

ScHwErV when a server Bans you it will Ban you though your Client number given to you when you buy the game. The only reason is that I pay for a server with rcon and the only way I can Ban someone is through Punkbuster and there client number.

Edited by Jazza, 30 December 2006 - 07:01 PM.

Jigalow

Jigalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well first of all, Thank you for getting back to me. sorry I couldn't hang around and reply to you earlier.
The reason I was wanting to do this:
Well, I'm in a clan in UT and there is another clan server that I like to play in that alot of my family play in but, I can't play in this server cause my ip always get sent back to my clan admin telling him that I am playing over there and then I have to go through this long speech with him about how we do not associate with this other clan because of things that have happened in the past. well, I figure if I could hide my IP then I wouldn't have to worry about being in the "do better room" for associating with the enemy. I have not been banned from the server. It's just that I got family that play in this server and I would like to play with them without reprimand from my clan. anyhow, thanks for taking the time to post back to me.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Ok, I would leave that clan....the reason is that why would a clan not let you on other clan servers, like I'm in a clan called KoR and my clan goes on another clan called FF (Full Force) with no problem.

I would really suggest leave them and join another clan. Don't ask clan if you have tags on trust me.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Ok, I would leave that clan....the reason is that why would a clan not let you on other clan servers, like I'm in a clan called KoR and my clan goes on another clan called FF (Full Force) with no problem.

I would really suggest leave them and join another clan. Don't ask clan if you have tags on trust me.

Yeah, i agree.

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I love these online guilds or clans that think they own your time.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
My clan does not own any part of me except my skill which I give to them in scrims(clan wars)!

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

No there is really not a way without "Cheating" to hide your IP, this is because when you connect to a server the server will save your IP address and people will know who you are. Though if your on Dial-up then you don't have a static IP so your IP would change constantly.

ScHwErV when a server Bans you it will Ban you though your Client number given to you when you buy the game. The only reason is that I pay for a server with rcon and the only way I can Ban someone is through Punkbuster and there client number.

But some server admin will ban by IP Address.

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Yes I do apologize but, 99% of Admins will not because of Dial-up users.

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Well today, the creaters of games have become smarted. They tend to hide your IP even from the admins. For example in CS:S, the admin has to go through some steps to even get your IP. They usually have to get it from the FTP.

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

My clan does not own any part of me except my skill which I give to them in scrims(clan wars)!

I beg to differ being your clan wants you to spend time in their server and not in another server. Also, they're complete idiots, my clan gets LOTS of its practice in pubs that are hosted by other clans, it's the best way to get practice, because you get to play against players of different skill levels and you'll often find you're playing against another clan in a pub. It just doesn't make sense for a clan to try to prevent their players from getting more practice in and learn new strats.

Sounds to me more like they own not only your time, but your skills as well.

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

I beg to differ being your clan wants you to spend time in their server and not in another server. Also, they're complete idiots, my clan gets LOTS of its practice in pubs that are hosted by other clans, it's the best way to get practice, because you get to play against players of different skill levels and you'll often find you're playing against another clan in a pub. It just doesn't make sense for a clan to try to prevent their players from getting more practice in and learn new strats.

Sounds to me more like they own not only your time, but your skills as well.

erm Jazza wasnt in the clan that didnt want him to go on a perticular server, if you read the whole topic its acctually Jigalow who was in a clan that didnt want him going on a server or somehting like that, to be perfectly honest id just go wherever i want and tell the clan leader so what i joined a server that doesnt mean im attached to anyone on that server or something stupid like that :whistling: the only person who owns anything of me is me........wait thats stupid i cant type right now :blink: lol

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Jig,

It sounds like there is some history between those two clans and not all of it good. Am I right? Its not your ip that you should be concerned with it the player name that you use. I'm sure you play with clan tags on and the like. If the server you visit on has serious issues with you playing on their server, then they should just ban you. No need for any kind of drama.

Personally I would just find another server to play on. I would also tell your "clan person" that when your server isn't busy you like to play elsewhere and that thier server is decent and you have a good connection to it. Why the need for all the drama? If they still give you grief then you have a decision to make.