Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't find my AMD 64x2 Second Core

• Please log in to reply

DrMD

DrMD

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I recently upgraded from an AMD Athlon 3700+ to an AMD Athlon 4400+ 64x2 dual-core (all socket 939).

Although my computer is running just fine (Windows XP SP2 home edition), the device manager does not show a second core, and is not recognizing the processor (AMD Hammer processor type unknown). I have a funny feeling that the second core is sitting around doing nothing if it isn't being recognized by the OS?

I have tried:

1. updating windows (no new updates were available)
2. Updating the motherboard BIOS (Bios was current)
3. Updating the Nvidia drivers (needed to be updated)
4. Using the drivers from AMD for this processor
5. Senting the computer (in the device manager) to an ACPI Multiprocessor PC

Any help would be welcome

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to update the BIOS usually if it can't see the second core.

What motherboard do you have?

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Need to update the BIOS usually if it can't see the second core.

What motherboard do you have?

Thanks for the reply - I have an MSI-K8N Neo4 Platinum

MSI has an online utility for updating the Bios. According to this my Bios was up to date?

Any other suggestions would be great. It feels like a windows problem?

Mike

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Thanks for the reply - I have an MSI-K8N Neo4 Platinum

MSI has an online utility for updating the Bios. According to this my Bios was up to date?

If this is their "Live Update 3" program, ignore it. It knows nothing.

Go here for new BIOS:
http://www.msi.com.t...s...=637&kind=1 and grab version 1.D. Instructions are in the downloaded file for how to flash it.

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If this is their "Live Update 3" program, ignore it. It knows nothing.

Go here for new BIOS:
http://www.msi.com.t...s...=637&kind=1 and grab version 1.D. Instructions are in the downloaded file for how to flash it.

And that fixed the problem. Both cores are now recognized by Windows (and by the motherboard). If I had looked more closely at the stuff that flies by at POST I would have seen that the BIOS was not recognizing the processor appropriately either.

I WAS using the "Live Update" thing from their website. How MISLEADING! When I looked at the date and version of the bios that was actually on my board it was from 3/15/05! Of course live update was saying the I had the most recent version... nothing to worry about.

Thank you so much for your help, it would have taken we a while to get around to manually flashing the BIOS since I was totally sold on the live update thing.

Edited by DrMD, 30 December 2006 - 05:53 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you remember to reinstall windows any major changes like that really need a reinstallation.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Did you remember to reinstall windows any major changes like that really need a reinstallation.

No it doesn't.
It may want reactivating which is an entirely separate thing.

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I haven't re-installed windows yet. I'm probably overdue either way (this computer is a year old this week and it has gotten alot of 'abuse' - ie. shareware apps, games, internet apps, etc)

Thanks for the reminder.

Do most people re-install windows on a regular basis regardless of upgrades?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Do most people re-install windows on a regular basis regardless of upgrades?

Depends.
My previous installation lasted sixteen months without re-installation and was still as fresh as the day it was originally installed speed-wise. Only reinstalled Windows because I upgraded the board. Sometimes, depending on what you're doing with it, you get away with installing and uninstalling all kinds of stuff with no knock-on effect.

I have seen Windows run for literally years on some computers with no re-installation needed. Others only seem to last five minutes once the kids get their hands on it :whistling: