Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor/Vid card issue...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I just reformatted windows, and bought a new dell monitor. I installed the video card, monitor, and chip set drivers, and I KNOW my video card supports the recommended 2560x1600 resolution (I remember using it before i reformatted), however it won't let me go passed 1280x1024, which looks extremely crappy. Plus, the refresh rate seems really low as well. I'm fairly sure its not a drivers issue, i've reinstalled them 4 times.

Any ideas..?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I know you've installed them four times, but I have to ask... Are these updated drivers which came from your card manufacturer's website?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
No...>_>, they worked fine on my old monitor though..could you link me to the newest ones, it's an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Often resolution is limited by your monitor driver not your video card driver.

May want to check your display properties and see if your monitor is detected and installed right.

Also, what resolutions does your monitor support? Don't know what model of Dell you bought but many 19 inch LCD monitors only go to 1280x1024 so your display properties would not let you exceed that.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is you new monitor a flat panel? If so, what is the model? The maximum resolution on most (if not all) of Dell's flat panels is 1280 X 1024.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
It's a 30 inch dell, and i know as a fact it can support 1600x2560 (i did it before the reformat). I'll make sure its plugged in right and stuff....

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
3007WFP is the model, sry forgot to mention it

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, that model is supposed to support 2560X1600 resolution.

Go to Device Manager (right-click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manger) and confirm that the Monitor shows to be the Dell 3007WFP. If it shows anything other than that model, try to update the drivers to the 3007WFP.

What is the make/model of your graphics card?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I don't even see monitor in the hardware manager but i DID look under every tag to see if i could find the dell monitor, and i didn't see it..here's what i saw in the hardware monitor w/ the tabs closed..The video cards are dual NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2's, not sure if that's the model number you wanted >_>, I'm going to see if i can find the newest drivers for the monitor online, maybe that'll make a difference. I'll post back in a while, let you know my progress.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to add the screenshot.

Edited by MR0624, 29 December 2006 - 07:10 PM.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Okay, i TRIED to install drivers from the internet, but following the instructions provided in the readme, the "Properties" button wasn't lit up and I wasn't able to click it to install the drivers. I took a screenshot and attatched it, to show you what my screen showed when i tried to install them...

The instructions were..

1. Click Start--> Settings--> Control Panel and then double-click
Display.
2. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab, and
then click Advanced.
3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click Properties--> Driver-->
Update Driver.
4. When the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box appears, click "NEXT".
5. Choose "Display a list of the known drivers for this device so that
I can choose a specific driver" then click "NEXT".
6. Click "Have Disk" tab.
7. Type in or select from the "Browse" option the location of the driver files
(most likely "C:\Dell\Drivers\R57788") and then click "OK".
8. Select the appropriate model of your monitor then click "NEXT"
9. Click "NEXT" to install driver.
10. Click "FINISH" to complete installation.

And i cut out at step 3 when it asked me to click properties and I wasn't able to (it wasn't lit up...)

Sounds like its not even being detected..strange

EDIT: The screen shots aren't attaching (don't ask, they're probably too big w/o cropping) but hopefully you can in vision what i mean >_>

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
JPG files won't attach - you'll have to save as BMP. If you think they are too large, zip them first. If you need a zip program, you can download Winzip (winzip.com) or Zip Genius (http://www.zipgenius...eng/?page_id=12).

Go back to Desktop, Properites, Settings, Advanced, Monitor tab. Under Monitor Type (at the top of that screen), what is shown for your monitor? Does it say "Plug and Play Monitor" or something else?

Do you still have the old monitor? If so, shut down the PC, attach the old montor, boot, go to Device Manager and see if there's a monitor listed.

You can try to manually install the Dell monitor. Go to Control Panel, Add Hardware, follow the prompts to install the monitor.

Also, what is the driver date and version for your nvidia cards? Did these cards come in your computer or did you install them later? If later, what make/model is your computer? If your computer is custom built, what make/model is your motherboard?

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
i went to the monitor tab, it says "Default Monitor"..Yes, i still have my old monitor and i will try the rest of your suggestions tomorrow (It's late by me, I've gotta get off.) Thanks the help, i'll post back with my status tomorrow morning.

Thanks..

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Okay, here's the answer to all those questions...

Also, what is the driver date and version for your nvidia cards? version 62.5, the date isn't listed, but i got the computer around august so fairly new i'd assume.
Did these cards come in your computer or did you install them later? Came with the computer, it's custom.
If later, what make/model is your computer? n/a
If your computer is custom built, what make/model is your motherboard? Not sure, I uploaded my rig's specs to my xfire profile at the very bottom of the page (http://www.xfire.com/profile/cmpgk636/) and when i uploaded it i noticed the computer still seems to think the viewsonic is installed.

Btw, i tried installing it myself through that thing you told me and it didn't work :C I'm rly batting a thousand.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you go into the DEVICE MANAGER (START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc), there is no heading of MONITOR there with a + symbol next to it? Also, are there any items listed with a yellow ? or ! next to them?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 30 December 2006 - 04:45 PM.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Screenshot of device manager attatched. (hopefully...)

Attached Thumbnails

• DeviceManager.JPG

Edited by MR0624, 30 December 2006 - 04:52 PM.