Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade questions

• Please log in to reply

Chris_Scott

Chris_Scott

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new computer and my budget is about $700. I can pick up an ok system from Best Buy or Circuit City for around that price, but I'm wondering if it would be more cost effective to upgrade my current system.

What I have:

Dell Dimension XPS T450
Pentium 3 processor
128 mb ram
6 gb hard drive

Upgrades I'm looking for:

Pentium 4 or D processor (or above if I can afford it)
1-2gb ram
250gb hard drive
248mb graphics card

I know this is very conceptual, but any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
At this point your going to be better off buying, or building, a whole new system. Your mobo only support P3 and none of your other components are really reusable. Assuming you already have a keyboard, monitor, etc., you can build a decent system for $700 or if you're not comfortable building, then look for good sales at Best Buy or Circuit City.

You could look at something like this which is $569 after rebate, and then use the leftover $100+ to buy a video card.

http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

Edited by kidnova, 29 December 2006 - 10:20 AM.

Chris_Scott

Chris_Scott

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you, kidnova. It's pretty much what I was thinking. I just needed confirmation that there wasn't something that I was missing.