Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Boot issue

• Please log in to reply

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys-

I'm new to the forum. I'm from Buffalo, NY, and am a mechanical engineer.

I've got a problem.

As my dad says, 'You dont know enough to be an expert, you only know enough to be dangerous.' So I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I've built a couple computer systems before, and have reasonable experience installing and maintaining them, so I'm not a complete newbie, but I definately could use some help.

I pieced together this system from newegg...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 processor
Asus M2N-SLI Motherboard
eVGA GeForce7950GT Graphics card
2X WINTEC AMPO 512MB 240pin DDR2 800

I already have a 300GB sata drive and two 40GB WD IDE drives, as well as a 430 watt thermaltake power supply.

I also put together my own water cooling system, which seems to be working fine.

So, here's the problem.

When I went to format my 40GB drive #1 to be my windows drive, everything went fine, I installed XP Pro, no problem. It restarted, did it's little 39 minute install/initialization/setup thing, and restarted again, as expected. After that, it booted from the hard drive properly, and the Windows logo came up with the little scroll bar underneath... and froze.

I tried it a few times, no dice.

So I reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows again, same thing. Freezes when it gets to the load screen.

I even tried installing windows media center from a different cd obviously, and the same thing happened.

I tried booting it in safe mode, and it does boot up successfully. Everything seems to work as it should in safe mode, but when I boot in normal mode, it freezes.

In safe mode, if i go to properties from my computer, it recognizes that I have 1GB of ram, 2.4ghz processor and all that.

I also tried removing one of the ram sticks at a time, but the same thing happens no matter what.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be more than appreciative.

Thanks in advance!!!

Rob

Edited by daesharacor, 29 December 2006 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi daesharacor...

There could be several things that can cause this. My first thought is bad drivers. Did you install the SATA/RAID drivers during the Windows install?

wannabe1

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
wannabe1 -

thanks for the response.

I didn't install any sata or raid drivers during the windows install, because i'm not using my sata drive for windows, it's not even plugged in currently... and I'm not running any drives in raid.

Am I wrong? should I install some drivers anyway?

Thanks again!!

Rob

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you plan on using the SATA drive, you'll have to install the drivers for it during the initial installation of XP.

This still sounds like a driver issue. Have you installed the Video adapter drivers? Are they the correct ones? Open Device Manager in Safe Mode...are there any yellow ? or ! displayed next to any of the devices?

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked device manager, and there are a few things that are yellow and ? + ! next to them. They are all listed under "Other Devices", which is also yellow and question marked. They are:

Other PCI Bridge Device
Other PCI Bridge Device
PCI Device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller

Any idea what this means, and / or how I might fix it?

And on a separate note, I've done some reading, and I realize that there's probably a lot of misinformation out there on the net... but I've heard that there are issues with multi-core processors and xp... think that might be a problem too...?

Thanks again for the response :whistling:

Rob

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I run an Athlon dual core with XP just fine. You need to install your motherboard drivers by the looks of things. They should be on a cd included with the motherboard.

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'd love to, but I can't install it in safe mode.

it says 'can't execute kernal mode driver service'.

Thoughts?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In Safe Mode, put your motherboard cd in the drive, open Device Manager, right click on one of the "Flagged" devices, and choose "Update Driver". See if Windows will find the drivers on the cd and install them.

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got the sm bus driver to install off the motherboard cd, and i installed the video drivers from the video card cd. still no dice with the boot-up, though. anything else i should try?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are there still "flagged" devices in Device Manager?

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah, pci device, and other pci bridge device. Are they important?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If your graphics card is connected via PCI, they are important.

Let's see if it will do a diagnostic startup. In Safe Mode, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab, tick the box next to "Diagnostic Startup", apply the change, and see if it will boot to Normal Mode.

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
changed it to start up in diagnostic mode, and it still freezes during the load scroll.

your help is very appreciated, thanks so much.

next tactic?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...you can change that back. Can you navigate the cd that came with your mobo and see if you can find the Nvidia chipset drivers...Nvidia

Or download these Asus Drivers, extract the files, burn them to cd, and see if they will install in Safe Mode as you did with the others.

daesharacor

daesharacor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks, i'll give it a try tomorrow. I've been doing some reading, and it seems like my board is pretty glitchy from what i've seen. I'm going to assume it's the board... I'm gonna keep trying your suggestions and trying to solve the problem, but just for future reference, do you have any suggestions as far as boards go? I just need something with preferably a 1mb L2 cache, pcie x16 slot, and socket am2....

thanks in advance.