Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bsod at boot

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ok i finally got my board from a friend and the harddrive i know is ok for i was running it right before i switch mobo's. now when i boot it brings up normal mobo check then starts to boot windows. when it starts to boot it it brings up the bsod stating these codes
0x0000007B (0XFC99D528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000 , 0X00000000)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

This is a fairly common problem with XP when you switch motherboards without re-installing windows. It happens mainly when the chipset on the new board is different from the one on the old board.

You need to boot from your XP CD. When it gives you the option to :
Setup XP, press enter
Repair XP using Recovery Console, press R
Select 'setup xp'. After the license agreement, make sure your current xp installation is selected in the box & press R to repair windows.
You may need to reactivate XP afterwards.

NB. If you have anything important on the drive I suggest you back it up first if possible.

Also, if the new board is using a SATA drive then you may need to have a copy of the SATA controller driver ready when you reinstall windows.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
no sata just ide/ata but anyway, i didnt have cdrom or floppy hooked up at the time, now if there hooked up the system powers on when plugged in and every thing tries to be reading at once. and i just freac=kn burned my self on i dont know what

edit-nvm at this part, i just have to clear cmos everytime the hardware config changes

Edited by AnthonyJ, 29 December 2006 - 02:03 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
in the repair console what do i need to repair?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

no sata just ide/ata but anyway, i didnt have cdrom or floppy hooked up at the time, now if there hooked up the system powers on when plugged in and every thing tries to be reading at once. and i just freac=kn burned my self on i dont know what

edit-nvm at this part, i just have to clear cmos everytime the hardware config changes

now its doing the reading again and wont stop please help me. also i took heat sink off and powered up. cpu dos not get warm stays cold. maybe cpu going bad? or powersupply? ps is set at 115, was on 230 when i got it but i put it on 115

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, let me clarify a couple of points here....

1. Assuming your electrical supply is 110-120V (e.g USA) then the 115V setting is obviously correct. If its 230V (eg UK), changing the PSU switch to 115V is fatal.

2. DO NOT ever, for any reason, power the system on without the heatsink/fan assembly attached. Period. (Unless it's a 386 or you have a particular desire to go out & purchase new hardware).

"now if there hooked up the system powers on when plugged in and every thing tries to be reading at once"

This statement makes little sense I'm afraid. Can you describe exactly what is happening please...
i.e
when you power the system on (with the heatsink/fan attached & set at correct voltage), do you :
a) get a picture on the screen at all?
b) hear any beeps?
c)hear the hard disk spin up or the HDD activity LED come on at all?

I assume you ARE getting a picture on the monitor, otherwise you wouldn't know about the 0x7B error, right? If so, then the cpu must be working (or at least was working up until the point where you ran it without the heatsink connected....)

Edited by Samm, 29 December 2006 - 07:55 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

1. Assuming your electrical supply is 110-120V (e.g USA) then the 115V setting is obviously correct. If its 230V (eg UK), changing the PSU switch to 115V is fatal.

2. DO NOT ever, for any reason, power the system on without the heatsink/fan assembly attached. Period. (Unless it's a 386 or you have a particular desire to go out & purchase new hardware).

"now if there hooked up the system powers on when plugged in and every thing tries to be reading at once"

This statement makes little sense I'm afraid. Can you describe exactly what is happening please...
i.e
when you power the system on (with the heatsink/fan attached & set at correct voltage), do you :
b) hear any beeps?

I assume you ARE getting a picture on the monitor, otherwise you wouldn't know about the 0x7B error, right? If so, then the cpu must be working (or at least was working up until the point where you ran it without the heatsink connected....)

when i turn it on (now sometimes) it tries to read floppy cd and hd at same time, hdd does not power up cpu does not power up, and thats as far as it gets, no display. when it did boot, it came up to the error message of the 7b, which i already found out what was and formated harddrive and am reinstalling the xp. i never touched voltage, also the bios doesnt have any settings for the voltage.

edit-also it has a celeron, im watching a few pentiums would that be better? a pentium type over celeron
edit2-would it suppore this 478?
Frequency: 2.66GHz

L2 Cache Size: 512kb

Bus Speed: 533MHz

2.66GHZ/512/533

SL6S3

Edited by AnthonyJ, 29 December 2006 - 10:14 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

i.e
b) hear any beeps?

when i turn it on (now sometimes) it tries to read floppy cd and hd at same time, hdd does not power up cpu does not power up, and thats as far as it gets, no display. when it did boot, it came up to the error message of the 7b, which i already found out what was and formated harddrive and am reinstalling the xp. i never touched voltage, also the bios doesnt have any settings for the voltage.

edit-also it has a celeron, im watching a few pentiums would that be better? a pentium type over celeron
edit2-would it suppore this 478?
Frequency: 2.66GHz

L2 Cache Size: 512kb

Bus Speed: 533MHz

2.66GHZ/512/533

SL6S3

alright its running fine now, it was just something i changed in the bios. i have been attempting to reinstall windows xp for the past 8 hours. after it copies setup files it says its gonna restart. i doesnt restart, so i turn it off then back on, then it comes up as missing a file ill edit thjis a lil later and put it in

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Could you tell me which model of emachine the board is from please?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
trigem Imperial GL-VE

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
From what I can tell, the Trigem Imperial 845GL chipset board only supports a FSB of 400MHz. I think the fastest P4 cpu (with 400MHz FSB) that will be supported, is 2.6GHz.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
but i can still put the the 533mhz in it will just underclock it? also where do you get your info on the boards at? i have searched and searched with yet no prevail

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I found info in 2 places - first on Intels website by looking up the board based on the chipset & secondly by googling trigem imperial gl-ve. This came up with specs from HP/Compaqs website for a system using this board.

As you've obviously already discovered, emachines aren't particularly helpful when it comes to locating this sort of info!

Re. the cpu - I wouldn't like to guarantee that an underclocked P4 cpu would work. It can depend on many things, including the ability to set the FSB/multiplier/vcore etc manually & also the core that the board supports (e.g Northwood / Willamette). You would be better off finding a cpu that is actually supported if possible.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright, but this board came with a celeron. i never had aanything good going with a celeron. can i switch it out with a p4 or p3?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The board will support Celeron's & P4's, so you can upgrade to a P4 providing it's one that uses 400MHz FSB & socket 478