Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to get rid of the Video ActiveX Object 2.07

• Please log in to reply

mraskin

mraskin

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
My old Sony VAIO desktop (P3, 700 MHz with the original Win ME) seems to be infected.
It is unable to run the Live Update for the Norton Antivirus Client. More to that, the Norton itself is not functioning at all, i.e. when I've open the Norton's control panel it is missing the whole set of the controls, the only thing that is still there is the Help. The rest is blank.
So I've decided to uninstall the Norton Antivirus Client and reinstall (it happened to me few time before, and after uninstall and reinstall it worked just fine before).
So, when I've tried to uninstall this program it did not allow me to uninstall. I've tried to uninstall several times, no results.
I've tried to do the Restore System, but to my surprise it did not allow me to do the restore either.
I ran the Spybot, then Ad Aware, then RegCure.
Still no effect, I cannot uninstall the Norton.
Then afterwards by mistake, I have allowed installing the plug-in called Video ActiveX Object 2.07.
Then checked on the Internet and it seems to be some kind of a virus or something.
I've tried to delete this program, same thing, after many attempts I could not uninstall it.

I need help :blink: . Please advise what should be done in order to return all back to normal. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hi Keith
I did as per your advise. Posted the explanation of the problem with the Hijack This logfile at the Malware forum. So far nobody replied.
Is there any problem with my posting?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Because it was two posts, it would have been seen as replied to, so have merged the posts

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Thank you very much for your quick attention :whistling:

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hi Keith
There wasn't any reply to my posting.
Should I repost my question again?
Please advise.
Regards

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you still need help, please create a topic in our special waiting room forum:
http://www.geekstogo..._Room-f100.html

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I had this problem and came to this site and they posted a thing called "SmitFraudFix" and It was posted on this site and it totally gets rid of the virus since it's in the registry keys.

Jhessa Reid

Jhessa Reid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

An alternative reason for Active-X errors is wrongly configured system files, which you can easily re-set. Just follow these instructions:

- Select the Start menu
- Choose "Run" and then type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll
- Hit "OK"
- When you see the notification, hit "OK" again
- Exit all the browser windows and then re-open them