Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot unzip most files

• Please log in to reply

Andrew01

Andrew01

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I recently installed XP on one of my computers for the first time and had a hard enough time figuring out how to install the drivers. Well since then when installing some programs I have been getting errors about it not being able to unzip the files I thought of it as a mistake on their part and was just going to wait for a new version since it was no big deal. It seems however that most things I need to unzip are corrupt and it has become a big problem for my job. Since the first thing I did once XP was installed had this problem I doubt it is some kind of virus. Perhaps there is something I should have done that I missed? I have had so many problems since installing XP and I would hate to have to pay someone $80 to install it for me any help is much appreciated. I have tried using programs such as WinRAR but with no success. For example when I try to unzip Photoshop_CS2_tryout.zip
(http://ftp.adobe.com..._CS2_tryout.zip) I get:
"C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Photoshop_CS2_tryout.zip: CRC failed in Photoshop CS2\Adobe® Photoshop® CS2\Data1.cab. The file is corrupt"
in WinRAR.

Edited by Andrew01, 29 December 2006 - 03:37 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried extract now

http://www.extractnow.com/

Andrew01

Andrew01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I try to run the setup I get "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program." I have tried several times, The installer must need to extract the files.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try cleaning your computer a bit see if that makes a difference from start go to run and type in prefetch

then go to edit and select all on any blue file right click and delete

from start >>all programs>>accesseries>>system tools>>>disk clean up>>restart

Edited by rushin1nd, 29 December 2006 - 04:09 PM.

Andrew01

Andrew01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I still have the problem, I think I may just try re-installing XP to sort out a few other problems too.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try doing this

from start go run>>type in sfc /scannow if your asked for cd then do the repairs

doing a f-disk is extreme especially if you dont want to lose anything

Andrew01

Andrew01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I recently installed XP so I wouldn't lose much, you just reminded me that when I put in my XP CD I get a message saying my XP is corrupt and that it can try to fix it but it ends up just installing it again making me lose all my files. at this time I don't care what happens to my files I put what is most needed on DVDs. I just need my computer working before next week.