Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

skipperd

skipperd

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I keep getting the error (0x800CCC0F) message and can't receive mail. I seem to be able to send.
I have had this program for a long time and haven't had this problem. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually a problem with your internet provider.

This might be useful:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Please keep in mind that we're working blind, so bear with me while I get additional information to assist in resolving your issue.

1. What is the exact error?

If possible, please check the Event Viewer (go to Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer). On the left side of the screen there are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any Error or Warning events that have a date and time that matches when your Outlook error occurred.

2. How long have you had this issue?

3. What happened with your computer just prior to this error happening? Did you install any new software, hardware, or any updates to anything?

4. Please confirm your operating system. If XP, home or pro? Are you up-to-date with critical updates?

5. Is your Outlook (or Office) up-to-date with updates?

6. What firewall and antivirus software do you use?

7. Have you confirmed the POP3 incoming mail server with your ISP? Has your ISP made any other changes recently that would affect your mail service?

skipperd

skipperd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Linda,
You are obviously quite qualified to help me here. I'll tell you as much as I know. But I'm a novice so be gentle.

Please keep in mind that we're working blind, so bear with me while I get additional information to assist in resolving your issue.

1. What is the exact error?
I'm not sure how to answer. When I do Send/Receive it give me the error message: Receiving reporting error (0x800CCC0F).

If possible, please check the Event Viewer (go to Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer). On the left side of the screen there are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any Error or Warning events that have a date and time that matches when your Outlook error occurred.
I could not find anything in the Event Viewer that necessarily corresponded.

2. How long have you had this issue?
I got a virus (security32.html) yesterday that your associates helped me remove. It took all of two days. The email problem started around then.

3. What happened with your computer just prior to this error happening? Did you install any new software, hardware, or any updates to anything?
They had me install Killbox, Cleanup, Superantispyware, Hijackthis and I think a few others. In addition I have Norton and Adaware.

4. Please confirm your operating system. If XP, home or pro? Are you up-to-date with critical updates?
Windows XP Home with service pack 2.

5. Is your Outlook (or Office) up-to-date with updates?
I think I am up to date on everything.

6. What firewall and antivirus software do you use?
See above.

7. Have you confirmed the POP3 incoming mail server with your ISP? Has your ISP made any other changes recently that would affect your mail service?
No other changes that I know of.

I hope this helps.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
First, since you had a virus removed recently and it might have damaged Outlook, let's try to repair it. From inside Outlook, click the Help menu, Detect and Repair. You can check Restore my Shortcuts, but don't check Discard Customized Settings. When it finishes, try a send/receive again.

If that didn't help, we'll start checking off troubleshooting items from the MS Article Neil Jones posted.

What version is your Norton? Did you just reinstall it after the virus?

Depending on your version of Norton, disable email scanning, auto-protection, internet worm protection. Try a send/receive again.

If you also have Windows XP firewall turned on, turn it off. Try a send/receive.

If that didn't work, we can try to set up a new mail profile. See Microsoft article 829918 for instructions. You'll need all the settings for your email account handy.

If that didn't work, log in to your web-mail account and check the inbox. It's possible a bad/infected/too large mail is trying to download. Delete anything suspicious. Then open Outlook and try a send/receive.

Please post back the results.

skipperd

skipperd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Linda,

I am running a fever and have to call it a night. I tried the first couple of things you recommended with no success. I will face this monster again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.