Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long Beep as Windows Loads?

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello....I have a gigabyte motherboard with an intel chip. When I start my computer it does the normal POST beep and then about 5 seconds later the computer just has one long beep that doesn't stop....The weird thing is that windows continues to load while this long beep is happening...The computer finally shuts down by itself (sometimes it shuts down while on the windows 'user select' screen and sometimes it shuts down while the windows loading screen is visable)

I am a bit stumped....if it were a hardware problem(RAM Video Card etc) I thought it wouldn't continue to load windows

I am starting to think it is the CPU overheating as the time between the POST beep and the long beep changes....sometimes it is 2 seconds, sometimes 7 seconds..

I am really not sure....any ideas???? THANKS

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Trish

It does sound like the cpu is overheating. Does your bios have a cpu temperature monitor in it?
If you're not sure or you can't find it, then let me know the model number of your motherboard

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Samm....I am actually at a friends place using his internet so I am not sure on my MB model number...I forgot to say that last week I pulled the heatsink off to clean all the dust off....the thermal pad under the heatsink was all cracked so I rang a computer shop and asked if I should put any thermal paste down instead. They said it will be right to just leave the old thermal pad on...I didn't start up the computer until today....do you think I should go and buy some paste to put under the heatsink????

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Samm for your help.....I took the heatsink off and wiped off the old thermal pad...I then put down some thermal paste and the computer is running great...thanks again

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Samm for your help.....I took the heatsink off and wiped off the old thermal pad...I then put down some thermal paste and the computer is running great...thanks again

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thats great. Glad to hear it seems to be working ok now