Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing XP, please help

• Please log in to reply

Andrew01

Andrew01

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I want to re-install XP again but have had a few problems the past few times.

Problem 1) I want to re-install XP on my computer and have two hard drives, one with 250 GB and the other with 110 GB. I want to install XP on the 110 hard drive and have it labeled C I want my other hard drive to be labeled D the problem is right now its the other way around and when I use a program such as MagicPartition to change the letters my computer gets confused when its booted up and I have to install XP again with the letters the same (the 250 is still C). I was thinking about unplugging the 250 hard drive while I install XP but I don't know how to tell the difference between the hard drives. I don't care if I lose files from any hard drive.

Problem 2) The first restart after installing XP I get "NTLDR is missing" I don't know why I get this message but after searching the web I found a way to fix it by copying files using the XP recovery console. I think this may be the cause of some of my problems and would not like to see it on my next install.

Problem 3) Every time I boot up I get the message "Invalid Boot.ini booting from C:\WINDOWS" or something similar to that. There is no C:\WINDOWS! There is no Folder on my C har drive (250 GB) with the name "windows." It is not hidden.

Problem 4) I'm shaking from all the Drivers I have had to install. I'm supposed to have:

Marvell Yukon 88E8001 8003 8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge
nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio
NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio Codec Interface
Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATALink Controller

but I have:

Marvell Yukon 88E8001 8003 8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge
nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio
NVIDIA® nForce™ Audio Codec Interface

in addition with these that are not on the list:

NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller
NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller

I'm missing "Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATALink Controller" I don't know how important it is but would like to have it. There are a few "RAID Drivers" that when I try to install them I get asked questions that I know not the answer to.

I have a problem with my monitor (Gets distorted when running some programs, it seems to be those that have a 3D view for meshes. I'm not talking about games but a mesh viewer) but I think that the problem may be because of those listed above. Any help is appreciated.

Also if you know of a very detailed walk through of installing XP that would help greatly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I put my XP CD in and go to re-install XP I get a message saying that XP is already installed but it is corrupt and can attempt to fix it, when I tried this all it did was re-install XP (Had to do drivers and everything even still says it's corrupt.)

Edited by Andrew01, 29 December 2006 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Once Windows is installed you can't change it's drive letter no matter what utility you use to try to change it -- as you've discovered, it may appear to work but Windows just gets confused.

However, if Windows is actually running now, allbeit not properly, you can change the drive letter of the other drive (the C drive) to some other currently unused letter such as 'E' or 'F' for example. Letter 'C' will then be available. Run Windows setup again, delete the existing 'D' partition, then install Windows on to that 'unallocated space'. Windows setup will give it the letter 'C' this time.

Edited by pip22, 30 December 2006 - 06:23 AM.