Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dreaded spilt liquid on laptop question

• Please log in to reply

brearc

brearc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
today unfortunately i spilled warm tea on the left side of the toshiba satellite right all over the power button.

immediately i got up and wiped as much of the liquid as i could. at first the computer worked fine, but i left the room for 20 minutes and came back and it was frozen and shut itself down and constantly tried to reboot. i got the computer upside down hoping to dry it over the next 24 hours. like an idiot i didnt think to turn it over right away :whistling:

i immediately looked into spilling liquid on a laptop on the net using the home computer and always found the same thing but i saw that everyone would say spilt on the keyboard.

im going with the drying for 24 hours but i was wondering if spilling on the power button will make things worse?

and what should i do after the 24 hours of drying if it doesnt work still...let it dry longer? take it apart and clean it? i moronically got an extended warranty and already know that futureshop wont cover this accident but should i take it to them or any repair person and pay the price?

thanks for any advice!!

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you will probably have to take it appart if warrenty wont cover it. i had soda spill on my toshiba tecra, only on the keyboard but the keys still dont work right. i was told try warm water(pulled keyboard out) didnt work. most recently my a computer teacher, was told to pour rubbing alcohol on it

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The initial danger is that the liquid will cause a short inside the laptop. For this reason, you need to disconnect power & remove the battery immediately. Dry it out somewhere warm for while - I would suggest a few days rather than one day, depending on the size of the spillage.

If it doesn't work after that, then you need to take it in for repair. As your laptop is still under warranty, even though the warranty doesn't cover this, I would advise against taking it apart yourself as this is likely to void the warranty for any future problems.

brearc

brearc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
update:

well i tried to power it back up after 3 days of drying and it didnt via the power button, however i was able to power it up by the media start buttons that come on the laptop, so that was fine at first

then that didnt work next time i tried it and i have no way of starting back up the computer

so im left with a decision to make i guess, take it and see how much it will cost me, or i thought maybe i could buy a second hand toshiba satellite a70 from somewhere and stick my Harddrive in it and have a spare HDD, battery, and use my laptop for spare parts.

so any advice what i should do? money is not a problem, actually if i could stick my toshiba a70 in a different laptop id just go out and buy a new one, how can i find out which toshiba laptops my hdd is compatible with?

by chance anyone got a toshiba satellite a70 in good working condition and up that wanna get rid off?

thanks!!

-Brett

Edited by brearc, 02 January 2007 - 06:13 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Brett

Laptop drives are fairly standard, especially between 2 laptops of the same brand. The problem you may have with installing your old drive in a new laptop is not hardware compatibility but software - i.e your windows installation on the old drive will be setup with the drivers for the old laptop. The new laptop will probably require different drives (unless it's the same model as the old one obviously). This isn't the end of the world but it can result in a buggy windows installation at times.

If you do decide to buy another laptop, you would probably be better off using the drive that comes with it & just transferring your data etc across from the old drive (i.e documents, pictures etc). This is easily done using either CD/DVD or flash stick.

Depending on the age of your current laptop, it may still be worth getting an estimate for having it repaired, but that obviously depends on how much a replacement one is.