Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello, I am installing Unbuntu (new release) for my second hand PC as I am testing out the Linux distros.

My question is ,

how easy is the OS to use?

It sounds fun and neat, and looks compatible with most programs, is this the easiest one out of all of them to use?

alll comments and opinions are welcome!

by the way: I used Windows all my life and wanting something easy to use.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 30 December 2006 - 12:37 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Ubuntu very popular and very stable and works right out of the box. They have good repositories for programs that can be added to your system. I'm not a fan of the Gnome desktop but the beauty of Linux is you have the choice. Kubuntu and Xubuntu are available if you care to try a different windows manager.

Coming from a Windows environment will be a bit of a learning curve because though most things are alike there are things that are handled differently. Ubuntu has very good support forums for help in tuning your system.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya I just installed Ubuntu the other day and so far I like it allot. It is my first time using a Linux based OS. I have been having issues with getting some programs to work, but that is only because I am new to the system, and not that I haven't been able to find the right kinds of programs.

You can see my topic below this one "Linux Question" for some of the issues I have been having. But honestly, they did a good job coming up with a Linux based OS that is easier to use when compared to a Windows based OS.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
thanks.. now for just getting it to download right.. lol

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I think it is very easy to use, but then again that is the world that I come from :-).

Once you get over the limitations and restrictions world of Windoze, it should be easy, but that will take a bit to do.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
The downloading is such a pain!

I tried it on mozilla, it gets corrupted on 280 megs.

Tried I.E. It was going well intill it stopps downloading at like 480 megs because my internet lost wireless signal and all my computers arew connected via wireless.

I am just trying to get it to download onto my computer and make sure the hashes are the same and not different so I do not have a corrupted ISO file.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Ubuntu is so easy to install that burning the disc image is the hardest part... and even that is easy, my advice if you have a computer you should at least try Linux.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No. I am dying to try Linux! It's just that when I am trying to download a big file that large, I have DSL, and putting it on that much load for that long of time it stresses my modem/router out and drops out. But I was playing online games while it was doing it so thats not good. I am trying to redownload it now at like 338megs out of 698 done. I am making sure that the hashes are the same so I will not have a corrupted ISO.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
This is getting annoying, I was at 58% and it just said it could not download because the connection was reset! WHY CANT I DOWNLOAD THIS?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
ah forget it ill download it some other time.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Oh what do you know? Miracles happen! it downloaded overnight and burned to a disk and now im installing it! whew crazy!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I don't know if they are still doing it, but Ubuntu was giving away free CDs. It takes a bit longer, but then you know that the CD is ok.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
It works. I love it!

Does Ubuntu do updates like Windows?
Some of their programs look very neat too!

Thanks to all!

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
up twoards the top right of the tool bar their is an update icon. Just click on that.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Looks like I am gonna haft to use my gamign adapter as my dell adapter doesnt support linux.. poo!

I am gonna try other ones too like PClinux, DSL.