Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts

I don't know if they are still doing it, but Ubuntu was giving away free CDs. It takes a bit longer, but then you know that the CD is ok.

I received my free Ubuntu CD about 2 weeks ago.

Trev

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I like Ubuntu, but DSL is for when I pick up a old machine.. lol and PCLinux is looking awesome.. i cant wait to install it.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Linux is quite hard to get used to but its Free and Stable what more do you want.

You can still order Ubuntu CDs at shipit.ubuntu.com but it can take upto 6 weeks before you get it or you can buy different cores e.g fedora, SUSE etc. from loads of different websites which have better delivery than Ubuntu. The best way to download linux is in the form of a torrent because you can download it with out having errors and if your pc crashes, power cut etc. you can just start it again and it will start off where it left off.

Its easy to install i ran the live CD and theres an icon on the desktop that says "install" you just double click on that and it will start installing. Its no harder than windows to install.

Edited by rumble291, 02 January 2007 - 03:35 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Linux is pretty easy to use in fact i would say it took me less time to learn to use linux than it did for me to learn to use windows back in the day, much simpler if all you want to do is day to day stuff and excellent for programming.

Its all pretty easy especially if youre hardware is all supported which for most people it is. Most distros free distribution service if they have one takes 5 to 6 weeks to get you it thats usual for a free service you can always pay for linux disks which gets you them quickly and the latest version you are just paying the shipping yourself. Its best to download it though otherwise you wont get the latest build.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Linux seems easy.. is it just like windows when you downlaod a file? just run the application or do you gotta type commands?