Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart Worries!

• Please log in to reply

Tonny

Tonny

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello. I have had my PC for almost 2 years and in the last month or so I have been having this problem.

This is the problem...

I will be working on my PC when it will suddenly restarts on me. Then as it gets to the Windows load screen it will restart again (sometimes it restarts before it gets to the loading screen). It will continue to restart until I turn it off.

This wierd 'restarting' can happen at any time...Sometimes it will happen after my computer has been on for 12 hours...sometimes it will happen after I have had my computer on for 15 minutes....It will sometimes happen when I am actually doing something on my computer (surfing the net etc..) and sometimes it will happen when I have just left my computer sitting there doing nothing.

I reseated my Video Card and RAM and this didn't help...I even put in a new stick of RAM...I also took my heatsink off and cleaned all the dust out as I thought this problem was due to my CPU overheating.

The only thing I can think of now is that my motherboard is faulty....Has anyone got an ideas on what my problem is??? Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. Examine each possible cause to rule it out or correct it. It seems you have examined heat and ruled it out. You can test the memory using memtest86, get it at http://www.memtest.org/
You can examine the event log for possible clues as to the cause. Go to my computer, right click manage, event viewer. Look for items with a red x corresponding to the most recent reboot. Right click on the event for details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible solutions.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will also want to turn off auto rebooting so you will get error messages ...it will help diagnose whats happening.....if you don't know how to go here...

http://home.earthlin...nl/rebootof.htm

did you put thermal paste between heatsink and CPU ....

Artik2

Artik2

• Pip
  • 4 posts

you will also want to turn off auto rebooting so you will get error messages ...it will help diagnose whats happening.....if you don't know how to go here...

http://home.earthlin...nl/rebootof.htm

did you put thermal paste between heatsink and CPU ....

Also check the dust in your cooler fan.
And maybe can be a PSU failure.

Tonny

Tonny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks everyone....I will try all that you have suggested...When I cleaned out the dust from the heatsink, I also cleaned all the dust from the fan...I also put thermal paste down...

I will post back when I have tried everything...Thank you HEAPS!!!!!!! :whistling:

Tonny

Tonny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If anyone is interested.... the problem is solved (cross fingers)

I tried memtest and it came back OK..so it wasn't my RAM

The next time the computer restarted I went and had a look at the event log and there were heaps of bad sectors on the hard drive...so I straight away thought it was my Hard Drive that was causing my restarting....a few hours later the computer restarted again and it wouldn't boot into windows becasue it said it was missing system files..THIS HAD ME CONVINCED IT WAS MY HARD DRIVE....so I connected a new hard drive as the master and the old hard drive as the slave (so I could retrieve some of my files)...and 10 minutes later it was restarting again grrrrrrrrr....I then changed the power supply and the computer has been working perfectly ever since...Thanks to all that helped !!!!

Artik2

Artik2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I was right! :whistling: :blink: :help: Cool!

Glad to hear that everything is ok now.
Good Luck.

Edited by Artik2, 07 January 2007 - 11:59 PM.