Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP, SP2 Issue

• Please log in to reply

naeby

naeby

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
My husband recently acquired a Dell Laptop computer that is a few years old. Last night he attempted to download SP2. The computer locked up during download/install and when he rebooted he got a message "SP2 did not finish installing, the system is in an unstable state, go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall SP2" He did this and now the computer will not run right. Reboot takes a long time, and when Windows loads it is not functional. Cannot click on Start and have it open, cannot Cntl, Alt, Del. I have tried to reboot with F8 and tried the last best known config/settings. That did not do anything. I hope that someone here will be able to help. Thanks so much!

naeby

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
from what I can see there isn't a System Checkpoint prior to the install of SP2. Are we doomed?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it come with an XP CD, or do you have a same version XP CD (SP1), and the product key for the laptop

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I will have to check with him about the original CD. He got the laptop from his Dad who usually saves things. Otherwise we'll be waiting on my brother-in-law who is out of town until this evening.

Are we looking at having to format at this point?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are looking at a repair, if run with an SP1 CD it will remove any updates, the programmes and data stay as they are

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank so much for your prompt responses this morning! I will be checking back later if necessary.

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
What if we don't have the product key for the laptop?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you get it to run long enough to find your product key?
Use Belarc.
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html
Johanna

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I actually found the product key on the bottom of the laptop. Now can I use someone else's XP disk to begin this repair process?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as it is the same version and you use the laptop product key

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
How do I know if it's the same version?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Assume it is SP1 then it is either XP Home or XP Pro

The disc would say XP Home / Pro with SP1 / SP1a

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
thanks again...will post more if necessary :whistling:

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have been able to restart the computer using the XP Repair Guide and now have the ICF.

Do I need to change the boot up settings to be from the hard drive now? What is the next step to updating Windows?