Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP, SP2 Issue

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can change the drive settings, although only bootable CD's will affect start up, and then only if in the drive

Run Microsoft Update now, it should offer some, then SP2, then some more, so keep going there to load the critical ones, you can leave the optional ones

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Advertisements

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i cannot get the microsoft page to load. it just stalls, no hourglass no movement in the IE window...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do other pages load

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i actually was able to get it after other pages loaded. now i have the following problem:
a windows pop up box "Windows file protection" some files cannot be copied the file path is not available (the actual path is listed and I cannot remember how to do a screen shot)

my options are retry, more info, and cancel.

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
the updates are still installing despite this pop up and it has popped up two times now

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It wants to do a system file check

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
do i wait for the last of the updates to complete before running this? we are at 44 of 57

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes please

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
we've been at 45 of 57 for a loooong time. any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it downloading or installing them, if downloading, can you open another IE page, or does the connection have auto cut off if idle?

Advertisements

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
it is installing and i don't believe theres a cut off for being idle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Give it ten minutes or so, some do take an age, the alternative is to cancel, you could get " are you sure " so click yes, then reboot and return to updates, it may check then show some as downloaded ready to install, get those first

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i am unable to cancel out of it either...just stuck on "cancelling updates" also cannot get windows task manager open. i will try a reboot and see what happens upon reconnect. Thank you for your patience!

naeby

naeby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i cannot get that scan to run. i have put the disk in and followed your instructions "Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD "

nothing happens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter